Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
In 2019, Mapbox made a considerable investment in the platform to support the Japanese market, including the integration of best-in-class Zenrin data and supporting the launch of Yahoo! JAPAN’s new maps for millions of people. Today, the demand for Mapbox in Japan is growing as we become the leading Japanese platform for maps and locations.
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a talented and experienced engineer to help grow the foundation of our platform. We’re excited to share our passion for scalability with you, and for your perspective to help shape our team’s goals. You will be responsible for contributing to, operating, and improving all things related to our data platform. In this role, you can expect to:
- Support internal customers of the data platform by shipping features to address their needs and consulting on implementation of our systems and tools
- Simplify and strengthen Mapbox’s processes and tools for designing, deploying, and monitoring data processing and querying workloads on AWS
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable infrastructure on AWS or another cloud provider
- Experience with our tech stack (Spark, Airflow, node.js and/or Python, Docker, AWS) is a plus, as is experience operating applications on cloud-based big data platforms like Qubole or AWS EMR
- Experience with distributed systems, big data, and/or container-based environments at scale
- Track record of building self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
- A personal drive to expand your comfort zone by exploring new and/or unfamiliar tasks
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity
- Strong proficiency in a programming language, testing practices, and thorough documentation skills
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity