Junior Platform Engineer
TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Junior Platform Engineer to join our growing team in London or in Tallinn within our Service Platform team.
For our customers, using TransferWise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on TransferWise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
The team is responsible for building the platform on which microservices run, ensuring it is robust and resilient to failure. We want to deliver sustainable solutions for product teams, with a healthy dose of paranoia knowing how complex, distributed systems can fail.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- You'll be working hands on in our Service Platform team. We want keen engineers who want to build first-class solutions for product engineers in TransferWise, streamlining how fast an idea can be delivered into production. We are investing in building cloud native applications backed by AWS as well as scaling our use of Kubernetes, so curiosity and learning is key.
- You want to collaborate and work within the team, but also across the wider engineering organisation.
Is that you?
- Experience coding in languages such as Java, Groovy, Python, Go
- Interest in building out scalable and automated Cloud platforms on preferably AWS
- Keen to learn how distributed systems work, can fail and how to build scalable systems (across multiple regions)
- Containerization technology and various orchestration platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes
Nice to Have
- Basic sysadmin skills in debugging issues with disk, network, app/JVM performance etc
- Experience in infrastructure as code and automation tools (Ansible/Terraform)
- Knowledge and an eye on newer architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, lambda programming
Key Areas of the role;
- Design and discussing how to build mission-critical shared infrastructure - run, maintain and schedule upgrades
- Identify where automation can solve manual processes, evolve them so there is less friction between teams but still with guard rails and controls
- Monitor and measure our stack to insure maximum availability
- Engage regularly with our blameless postmortem culture, always focused on continuous improvement
- Flexible working hours and location, open to travel to engage with teams regularly (post Covid-19)
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.