Build and Automation Engineer, Edge Team
Remote US (West Coast)
Posted 1 month ago
InfluxDB is one of the most popular and fastest growing open source databases, and is the premier Time Series database available today. InfluxDB is deployed on hundreds of thousands of machines, and is used by teams worldwide to monitor infrastructure, IoT, and a myriad of applications. The majority of our users are developers and system integrators working with our open source software. We also offer enterprise and cloud SaaS products, all exposing a single unified API that reduces the infrastructure and time needed to become productive with InfluxDB.
In order to help us improve and expand on our core products, we're looking for a Build and Automation Engineer who understands and embraces a DevOps philosophy and has successful experience evaluating technology and implementing DevOps process. You will join the InfluxDB Edge team and take an active supporting role in the development and maintenance of the InfluxDB 1.x and 2.x product lines (including Open Source and Enterprise) and Kapacitor processing engine. You will work closely with Engineering and Product teams to provide services and utilize automation tools to support cross-team requirements, and help with QA testing and regular release cycles. You will have autonomy to research, design, and implement tools and services that enable rapid deployment of new features, as well as influence over our technical path forward. You will share your experience and skills with the team and learn from them in return, and will work closely with other teams to help refine best practices and deliver on shared product goals. Likewise, you will work to keep pace with our OSS community and help find ways to let our OSS developers see results from their contributions.
We’re a globally distributed, friendly, and cooperative team who thrive on interaction and collaboration. We meet once a day as a team for a quick catch up (a sort of verbal scrum), as well as have regular pairing sessions over video conferences throughout the week. We also meet with the entire company every day to learn about what’s going on across the business and share news about upcoming events and activities.
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting the QA and release lifecycle for Open Source and Enterprise versions of InfluxDB and Kapacitor.
- Helping write, validate, and maintain unit tests and end-to-end testing harnesses.
- Automating build/deploy of release packages across multiple OSes and architectures.
- Managing release changelog, related documentation updates, and cross-team coordination of releases.
- Owning the overall continuous integration system tooling, process, and management.
- Spinning up new environments to reproduce bugs, and creating detailed writeups to help other engineers resolve issues more quickly.
- Uphold engineering best practices applied across projects and teams.
- Interacting with our open source community to resolve packaging issues, improve the installation/upgrade process, and maintain public facing repositories.
What you bring to the table
- 3+ years of professional experience helping support the build/ship process for production software, with on-prem delivery models preferable.
- 3+ years of professional experience in continuous integration and delivery.
- Self motivation and a drive to get to “done”. Working independently but closely integrated with the rest of the team, you will deliver and expect high quality results.
- Willingness and enthusiasm for learning and working in Go and its ecosystem.
- Working knowledge of containers and related tooling/ecosystem (Docker), package management (deb/rpm specifically), and configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible)
- Working knowledge of Git (and GitHub) and related PR/CR workflows.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- DevOps experience and a working proficiency with related automation tooling (Bash, Python, Go, Rust, Ansible, Packer, Groovy, etc.)
- Experience working with Jenkins, CircleCI, and GoReleaser
- Experience using GitHub apps and APIs to automate review, backport, and release processes
- Experience working with APIs and Swagger
- Experience creating and maintaining AWS, GCP, and Azure deployment templates
- Experience working with distributed remote development teams.
- Experience working with open source projects and related communities.
- Exposure to agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc).
Many InfluxData employees are remote* so you have your choice of working remotely or out of our San Francisco office. We currently support employees in the following US States: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OK, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA. If you are in a state we don't yet support, no worries as we can register there. Internationally, we support employees in the UK, Germany, Italy and Canada.
*While for some roles, we welcome candidates from boot camps/junior candidates, for this role we are looking for an engineer who has 3 or more years of working experience in similar roles.*
InfluxData is the creator of the leading time series database, InfluxDB. The InfluxData platform is built on the open source projects – Telegraf, InfluxDB, Chronograf, and Kapacitor.
We’re a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
We offer fantastic benefits; in the US these include:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.