Constellation Operations and Automation Engineer
Hawthorne, CA, United States
Posted 1 month ago
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CONSTELLATION OPERATIONS AND AUTOMATION ENGINEER
SpaceX is looking for an engineer with a strong background in orbital mechanics, state estimation, programming, and spacecraft systems design to join the Constellation Ops & Autonomy team. Our mission is to automate and optimize the constellation path planning such that each satellite gets where it needs to go in a safe, timely, and propellant-efficient manner. Our mantra is, algorithms, not operators, as we aim to fly an unprecedented number of satellites with minimal manual operational overhead.
- Design and analysis of orbit determination and high fidelity propagation algorithms
- Implement satellite and constellation-level orbit guidance and control systems
- Implement autonomous collision avoidance systems for both debris and other maneuverable spacecraft
- Support development of the 3-dof constellation simulation for determining the best method to operate the constellation
- Continued support of satellites in orbit, including commanding and anomaly resolution
- Interface with software, GNC, propulsion, avionics, thermal, structures, ground segment, and antenna teams to ensure they have the tools required to participate in the operation of the constellation
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or physics
- Software development experience in C++ or Python
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in engineering or physics
- 2+ years of experience in a space mission design role
- Strong understanding of orbital mechanics, modeling and simulation, and software development
- Low thrust trajectory optimization for orbital maneuvering
- Orbit determine or state estimation or more generally
- General familiarity with the disciplines necessary for spacecraft flight including; Structures, Propulsion, Avionics, GNC, Flight Software, Dynamics, Launch and Mission Operations, and Integration. Practical experience in real world development of these systems is highly desired
- Capable of identifying and solving complex problems with little to no supervision or direction
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.