Client Platform Engineering Lead
US / Canada
The mission of the Corporate Technology organization is to be Stripe’s strategic technology partner. We are focused on increasing business velocity through tooling, services, and infrastructure that enables Stripe to scale and increase the GDP of the internet.
As a technical leader on our Client Platform Engineering (CPE) team, your work will focus on protecting every Stripe employee’s most used tool: their company-issued laptop. Our team owns the entire lifecycle of these assets, and with it, the responsibility of ensuring our fleet is managed with the level of thoughtfulness and rigor that our users expect.
Our scope includes the management of over 3,000+ macOS laptops, 2,000+ ChromeOS devices, 1,500+ iOS devices, and hundreds of Windows endpoints.
We are seeking a technical lead who will develop the next iteration of our fleet management strategy, with a focus on security, reliability, scalability, and management parity across all platforms. Our ideal candidate will not only have prior hands-on experience managing the platforms we support, but will also have demonstrated success as a technical leader. The ability to communicate and bring together a variety of stakeholders around a vision is just as important as technical expertise. This is a great opportunity for a seasoned engineer to demonstrate and further develop their technical leadership skills.
In addition to being a technical leader, you will also be a hands-on technical contributor. You will be responsible for completing technical project work alongside other members of the team.
- Partner with Engineering Managers to set the technical vision for the team, and work with org leaders to ensure that the projects the team is working on align with our vision.
- Review and audit our existing environment and platforms, then develop gap analysis and roadmap documents.
- Work with the team to create and communicate our technical roadmap and drive alignment among leadership and customers.
- Build and maintain relationships with partner teams and customers.
- Demonstrate strong dispute resolution and technical decision making even in cases with non-trivial uncertainty, and provide deliberate and thoughtful explanations of how decisions are reached.
- Be a mentor to the other engineers on the team, with the goal of not only improving each engineer’s technical skills, but the team’s engineering practices in general. This includes holding a high bar on technical decision making and on engineering artifacts like design docs and code that the team produces.
- Oversee large scale projects involving multiple engineers and orgs.
- Execute on engineering projects alongside other team members.
- Hold a high bar for code quality and standards by reviewing, approving and providing feedback on code submission by your peers.
- Use your deep technical skills to debug and solve complex technical problems across various platforms within the fleet.
- Be constantly on the lookout for opportunities to eliminate manual work through tool building and automation.
- Develop operational metrics and improve systems used to track the health of our fleet.
- Keep abreast of industry trends to ensure Stripe remains an innovator in this domain.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Prior experience in a technical leadership role.
- Demonstrated experience developing technical strategies and roadmaps, and leading technical execution for an Engineering team.
- Demonstrated experience collecting ideas from members of the team, org, or project, bringing them together into a coherent technical vision, and clearly communicating that vision both within the team and to all of the team’s partners.
- 5+ years of technical experience managing macOS at an enterprise scale, using a combination of open source and commercially-available tools (Chef, munki, AutoPkg, Santa, JAMF, DEP, osquery).
- 5+ years of technical experience administering ChromeOS, iOS, and Windows at scale.
- Experience deploying and managing binary authorization systems (such as Santa) at scale.
- Experience administering mobile device management (MDM) systems such as JAMF, AirWatch, etc.
- Coding proficiency in at least one language, preferably multiple.
- Knowledge of the inner-workings of common Operating Systems, including the ability to troubleshoot “tier 3” issues.
- A learning mindset, regardless of level or experience.
- An empathetic, humble, and customer-focused demeanor.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational and task management skills.