Director of Infrastructure & Security
Forter is looking for a Director of Infrastructure & (Cloud) Security to lead our Infrastructure and Cloud Security teams, and our infrastructure expansion projects. The role reports to the VP of Engineering.
Reliability, latency, and security, along with being present where our customers need us, are critical to our success. Every request we process is important to everyone involved. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us: we processed eCommerce transactions worth over $200B in 2020, and decided on billions of critical decisions. We utilize highly sensitive information our customers trust us with, to catch fraudsters and abusers and let consumers operate without any friction.
Our systems run on 1000s of machines, on multiple regions (and clouds!), at a massive scale to provide the best service to the Enterprise customers we serve.
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position. But hold on, you best check the position requirements below first :)
We don't take DevOps as a title but as a culture
Our infrastructure teams focus on building the tools that can serve all of our engineering teams (as well as analysts, data scientists, and research engineers). Our Security Engineering team focuses on building tools to help us protect our data & systems, while increasing the velocity of the engineering teams.
Each team at Forter is responsible for their data sources and applications. Each team has its own on-call. Each team takes security practices and requirements as part of the design of their systems, fix security vulnerabilities, and perform required upgrades.
One of your goals would be to enable these teams to do that with maximum efficiency and happiness. We believe that dev experience really makes a difference here!
Stuff you’ll be doing:
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Forter
- Lead very big, time-constrained projects to their success. Manage these projects (>10-20 people, e.g. Multi-cloud and new Data Centers) that require complex coordination with other groups and teams at Forter
- Build and monitor the ‘paved road’ that delivers a frictionless experience (with clear KPIs and SLAs), allowing all of our engineering teams to work in a robust and secure manner by default
- Collaborate with our CISO, Legal, Engineering, Research, Finance, and Corporate IT leaders to rapidly and fundamentally transform the security posture of the business
- Recruit great engineers and engineering managers, in collaboration with the recruiting team
- Develop Staff and Principal engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Mentor and coach managers to create healthy and well-executing teams
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Forter’s engineering management team
- Work closely with our engineering teams and product team to help prioritize products that would increase the teams’ effectiveness
- Work in brownfield environments. Imagine a future for legacy systems and plan migrations in evolutionary steps
Stuff we need you to have:
- Managed managers for 3+ years
- Experience growing teams of 15+ engineers
- Extensive experience and a genuine passion for building and running cutting-edge infrastructure and security teams
- Successfully recruited and built great teams
- Successfully led a project with more than 10 engineers working on it from various teams
- The ability to work very well cross-functionally, and ability to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- 8+ years developing complex software projects (Python / Go / Java / etc.)
- 3+ years working with Infrastructure As Code tools (Cloudformation / Terraform / Pulumi)
- Extensive experience working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
We’d especially love to hear from you if:
- You are confident representing your agenda and opinions in a business full of engaged, passionate people
- You are passionate about building products and tools that developers love to use
What it’s like to work at Forter:
We believe that head-count is a vanity metric (i.e. more doesn’t necessarily mean better), and that people matter! This is why we prefer smaller teams of talented and cohesive teams over “just give us some more working hands”.
We believe that the metric we should optimize for is increasing the IQ and EQ of our team over time, by building an organization that will draw such people to us. We care immensely about how the team works together, and we’re not shy from hard conversations. When you try to make an impact, friction (of opinions, or business constraints) is something you need to deal with.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company.
If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.