Principal Software Engineer (Tools & Infrastructure)
Posted 1 month ago
At Appian, we’re all about building awesome software, and we create an engineering experience to match. As a Principal Software Engineer on our Tools & Infrastructure Team, you will drive the vision and execution for the fully automated build/test/deploy system that Appian uses to manage its software development. You will enable the next wave of our world-class infrastructure, ensuring that it is always available, responsive, and capable of meeting the diverse needs of a dynamic and high-powered development team. You will work directly with the development team to assess and prioritize the current and upcoming needs of the organization, design/build/deploy new automation for all aspects of our development lifecycle, and maintain, troubleshoot and fix issues that impede our team’s progress.
What is Appian? It’s a low-code application platform that lets business people build powerful enterprise web and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code.
What you’ll be doing:
- Creating, configuring, and enhancing the tools we use to get things done (GitLab, Terraform, JIRA, Jenkins, GitHub) and our automated CI/CD pipeline
- Innovating, researching, and evaluating new technologies and tools
- Working collaboratively with cross-functional teams across Engineering and other departments
- Leveraging cutting edge technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, Ansible, and Terraform, and designing and building new features to increase product quality, decrease cycle time, and improve developer efficiency
- Becoming a master of our current product infrastructure
- Keeping automated infrastructure up-to-date as dependent technologies evolve and scale (JEE application servers, JDK, RDBMS)
- Automating every aspect of our development lifecycle and help us in our mission to achieve continuous delivery
- Creating new tools to increase departmental visibility into product quality, performance and releasability
- Being the advocate of the adoption of DevSecOps culture and mindset
- Passionate about DevOps, Release Engineering, and trends including CI/CD
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering
- Proficiency working in AWS and Windows, Mac, and Linux environments
- Experience designing and building software or software systems in an enterprise software or Saas/Paas environment
- Strong working knowledge of prevalent build and automation languages (Gradle, Maven, Ant, Python, Groovy)
- A strong knack for quickly learning complex technical concepts & Strong oral, written, and presentation skills
- Fluency in at least one programming language, preferably Python and Java
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.