Infrastructure Engineer, Engineering Services
At HashiCorp, we build Consul, Nomad, Vault, Terraform, Packer, and Vagrant. We use the Tao of HashiCorp as our guiding principles for product development and operate according to a strong set of company principles for how we interact with each other. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team, and this role is no exception. We are looking for a Full-time Remote Employee within the US and Canada. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
The HashiCorp Engineering Services team is committed to supporting all of our product teams in their delivery of high-quality software, which meets all of the obligations of our contributors, practitioners, and customers. Engineering Services support the product teams in three key areas: release engineering, software compliance, and internal systems and tooling. Our team members specialize in one of the three areas and several team members are embedded on a product team to help improve the delivery of the product.
We’d love to hear from you!
HashiCorp is an open source company. We take great joy in helping developers, designers, and infrastructure practitioners build and deploy applications with our products. We strongly encourage you to **write a cover letter** to tell us about yourself and what gets you excited about the cloud, infrastructure as code, or one of our products! We'd like to get to know YOU and why you are interested in working at HashiCorp. What makes you enthusiastic about infrastructure and automation? What's your favorite HashiCorp product?
Here's what you can expect to accomplish on the Engineering Services team at HashiCorp:
Within 1 month you will:
- Learn about HashiCorp’s products, teams, peers, and processes
- Ship your first infrastructure project using HashiCorp tooling like Packer, Terraform, Nomad, and Consul
- Have one on ones with every member of our team and members of other teams
- Experience the HashiCorp culture and get familiar with the Tao of HashiCorp
Within 3 months you will:
- Become a trusted member of the infrastructure team and a subject matter expert on the systems we support
- Actively support and create policy for the HashiCorp cloud presence on AWS, Azure, and GCP
- Take an active role in recommending and designing internal systems to support product, engineering, and security teams
- Recommend improvements to the systems the team supports
Within 6 months you will:
- Drive the research and testing of systems to help meet the needs of our Engineering team, including writing RFCs to show what thoughts and considerations went into the selection of the system
- Maintain and improve the systems we run
- Help develop a mature monitoring and alerting methodology for our systems
- Provide occasional after-hours support for our tools in the event of an outage
You may be a good fit for our team if:
- You are comfortable and enthusiastic about adopting the HashiCorp way of building systems using an infrastructure as code approach and taking advantage of immutable infrastructure.
- You have hands-on experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or Salt to manage Linux and/or Windows hosts. A thoughtful understanding about when and how to use them and the tradeoffs incurred.
- You have experience operating AWS, Azure or Google Cloud including access control (IAM) and some network topology design.
- You have experience using source management tools like Git.
- You have experience with and are comfortable with programming languages, particularly Golang
- You have experience with monitoring and alerting as a means of proactively increasing uptime and reliability.
- You have a willingness to learn new technologies and methodologies.
- You understand the difference between shipping a project that’s done versus a project that is perfect.
- You have a customer-centric attitude and willingness to enthusiastically support the engineering teams to help HashiCorp continue to deliver great products and services.
About the Application Process
Please note, as communication is a critical aspect to how we work, a cover letter is a great way to provide a sample of how you communicate. In your cover letter, describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, and what draws you to this role in particular.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be