Site Reliability Engineering, Sustaining Engineering Internship
Wayfair is the online leader for all things home. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily furnish the home of their dreams, across a selection of millions of items. Our platform is technology driven, leveraging best in class solutions with a constant drive for innovation.
Who We Are
The Sustaining Engineering and Operations team is responsible for streamlining, automating, and enabling cloud-scale growth across Wayfair engineering in a technically sustainable manner. Our team has a presence in both Boston and Berlin, supporting our core regions of operation. The team is looking to add a strong co-op to help us to build a better way of doing things. We’re looking for someone who is as excited as we are about building that next-generation environment - which is automation heavy and as dynamic as possible. This role will give exposure to our full technology stack, and an opportunity to drive tangible improvements to a world class eCommerce platform.
What you’ll do
- Respond to and investigate technical issues
- With guidance, automate or streamline manual tasks and redundancies within the infrastructure organization (and never solve the same problem twice!)
- Improve monitoring and alerting through a proactive approach to catch and fix infrastructure, code, and database issues before they cause impact
- Provide a level of support and visibility across our full stack, learning how our different systems
What you’ll need
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Should be able to put knowledge to work
- Should be able to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities
- Knowledge of basic Linux fundamentals and any of the languages such as Python, JAVA, PHP or similar is a plus
- Experience working with change tracking tools like git or SVN is a plus
- Experience with monitoring or tracing tools is a plus
- Proactive team member with willingness to troubleshoot a problem until it’s resolved.
What we’d love to see (but isn’t required)
- Understanding of configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible).
- Experience using and monitoring cloud services platforms (GCP, AWS, Azure).
- Understanding of build and release management, CI / CD platforms (Git, GitHub, GitLab).
- Knowledge of logging platforms (ElasticSearch, InfluxDB, etc).
- SQL Database design, development and performance optimization experience.
- Experience with cache technologies (Redis, Memcached).
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.