Tech Lead - Platform Engineering, Edge Services
Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio's Edge Services team is looking for a motivated, empathetic, customer-serving engineer and leader to help Twilio fuel the future of communication by building, owning and maintaining high-quality backend services. Edge Services is a Platform Engineering team responsible for the front door of all www and Twilio console traffic. Our team is unique in that our services are used by Twilio customers and engineers alike. If you feel encouraged when being exposed to the challenges and opportunities that come with building distributed systems at scale, you may be a fantastic fit!
Are you willing to be a founding team member on a new Platform team in Madrid? Are you passionate about building low latency, high-reliability edge platform technologies that scale and enable other engineers at Twilio?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions, we want to talk to you!
Twilio is seeking a collaborative technical leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of engineering and designing highly available, scalable infrastructure and nurturing small to medium sized engineering teams. They also have:
- 5+ years experience in backend software engineering.
- Strong preference for someone with prior experience with service-oriented architecture, microservices or REST APIs on Production environments.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Expertise in one programming language and practical experience in a few, over distinct paradigms.
- Have the technical ability to understand software development lifecycle and recognize areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps and mentor software engineers under a fast-paced and diverse environment.
- Plan the “how” of software development, passionate about quality and testing automation.
- Understands the pros and cons of technologies and is able to make pragmatic, practical decisions, identifying simple solutions to complex problems.
- Experience with the cloud, APIs, monitoring and instrumentation of distributed systems is a great plus.
As a Technical Leader on the Edge Services team, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop solid plans for the “how” of engineering, communicating software architecture and design to the team and leadership, and crafting effective runbooks for operational maturity.
- DRAW THE OWL: Ask yourself “what could go wrong” at every turn to help ensure the stability and reliability of this critical service.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of software engineering, from planning to code reviews to service operation.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across a multitude of teams within Twilio, mentor and grow more junior engineers, and have significant exposure to our edge, foundation, and platform leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure customer trust and service reliability remain at the forefront of our priorities maintaining a growth mentality.
Edge Services is responsible for the ingestion of Twilio’s Web and console traffic. As an edge platform team, we build systems with high-availability and low-latency requirements in order to support all REST API and Web Console inbound traffic -- effectively enabling over tens of millions of requests every day. We take great pride in wearing customer’s shoes and taking decisions inclusively. It is extremely important for us to build services with exceptionally high uptime, availability, and success rates.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Madrid, Spain office at Paseo de la Castellana, 77, although working remotely in Spain is also an option. Here, over 60 Twilions are fully dedicating their skills to our different products and initiatives while at the same time creating a unique office-culture in what has become one of Twilio’s fastest growing “tech-hub” offices worldwide. An office that, as this year’s terrible COVID-19 pandemic has shown us, can overcome any challenges and stay focused and united during difficult times, always putting the safety and health of our employees and their families first. We have proven we can all have a strong impact and coordinate well together no matter where we work from.
Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.