Senior System Engineer (VMware)
Mexico City, Mexico
Hitachi Vantara, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., guides our customers from what’s now to what’s next by solving their digital challenges. Working alongside each customer, we apply our unmatched industrial and digital capabilities to their data and applications to benefit both business and society. More than 80% of the Fortune 100 trust Hitachi Vantara to help them develop new revenue streams, unlock competitive advantages, lower costs, enhance customer experiences, and deliver social and environmental value.
Working in a 24x7 global operations team environment, the System Engineer – VMware will require extensive Infrastructure experience and deep technical expertise in solutions such as vSphere, NSX, vRealize Automation, vRealize Orchestrator, vRealize Operations, VMware SRM, and Hyper Converged platforms. The Engineer will be responsible for developing automation solutions that provide self service capabilities for Hitachi Vantara to simplify IT. The candidate will work on the Architecture, Engineering, Development / Operations teams to establish standards, best practices and infrastructure solutions.
Typical responsibilities for this position include design, deployment, maintenance and continuous improvement of the virtualized infrastructure.
- Technology and business enablement advocate to advise best practice methods in how to maintain the environment while quantifying business value
- Define and implement efficient end-to-end solutions
- Serve as a SME for VMware
- Independently lead the design of virtualized solutions to include hardware platforms, services, and operating systems
- Ability to develop detailed project plans, work breakdown structures and operational readiness materials
- Able to independently complete solution implementation or VMware design deliverables.
- Support multiple technical teams in 24 x 7 environment operational environments with high uptime requirements including on call support. Varied shift schedules may include day or evening hours and late nights
- Fluent in English
- Minimum of a B.S. in Computer Science, MIS or related degree and five (5) years of relevant experience or combination of education, experience and training
- 6+ years on managing and maintaining Enterprise VMware environments
- Advanced skills and experience with VMWare vRO/vRA, NSX, or comparable
- Advanced knowledge in the following technology areas
- VMware vRealize Operations Management 7
- VMware vRealize Orchestrator 7.x
- Scripting - two or more of: Python, PowerCLI or PowerShell, Ruby, Linux Shell Scripting, or comparable scripting language
- Strong knowledge in the following technology areas
- Windows Server
- VMWare SRM or other DR solutions for Virtual Infrastructure
- Integration and automation solutions with Ansible, Puppet, Chef or other Automation tools
- Service Now Self-Service
- Network and security (VMware NSX)
- Cloud solutions (Public, Private, Hybrid)
- Linux administration (RHEL)
- Capacity Management & Proposals
- Preparing root cause analysis & problem management
- Perform critical systems testing and operational tasks (installation and configuration of Servers, script execution, scheduling jobs etc.)
- Working knowledge of and experience with Agile and ITIL
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Excellent communication and verbal skills as well as business acumen
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Coordinate with different technical teams from within organization of remote teams if required for finding a solution
- Familiarity in configuring and deploying the VDI like VMW Horizon, Citrix, etc.
- Configuration and Migration experience in AWS & Azure cloud infrastructure
- Should be familiar with procedures and formalities required for creating a vendor support case & ensuring that resolution is provided on time
- Recognize, identify, and prioritize incidents in accordance with customer business requirements, organizational policies and operational impact
- Identify issues and risks in the infrastructure and take necessary steps to notify and close the risk
- Should be familiar with Change Management process, should be able to prepare action plan, Rollback plan, Mitigation plan etc. should review pre and post change activities
- Document all actions in accordance with standard company operational policies and procedures
- Notify customer and third-party service providers of issues, outages and remediation status
- Ability to think on feet and provide required remedial activity of all the issues reported to the Service Desk
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.