Senior Engineering Manager, Service Infrastructure & Developer Experience
San Francisco, CA
Build the Infrastructure to help Flexport scale
We are in the process of transforming our monolith Ruby service to a polyglot microservice system. The service infrastructure and developer experience teams play an important role in this journey. We own the scaffolding to enable application teams to build and operate their services. This includes RPC framework, infrastructure for event streams and async jobs, service container design and observability integrations, service templates and bootstrapping, artifacts packaging and distribution, end-to-end test framework, CI / CD pipelines, high-level codebase organization, devops tooling, etc. As the leader of the team, you will work in a highly collaborative and fast-changing environment, and you will lead the team to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the engineering organization as well as the scalability of our architecture.
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders to define the roadmap for the team
- Provide guidance on other Infrastructure team’s roadmaps
- Provide design inputs and feedbacks
- Manage the team’s execution and deliverables
- Coach team members and invest in their career growth and success
- Drive operational excellence and DevOps culture across the engineering organization
- Triage, investigate and root cause production issues and bottlenecks, and identify improvements to mitigate future incidents
- Collaborate closely with the InfoSec team on security-related projects
You should have
- 3+ years of people management experience
- High proficiency in distributed systems design and architectural principles
- Extensive experience working in an SOA / microservices environment
- Extensive experience in building and operating mission-critical systems
- Familiarity with container orchestration systems such as Kubernetes and Elastic Container Service
- Deep empathy with application developers and passion for improving developer productivity and DevOps experience
- Prior management or technical leadership experience on an infrastructure team, with a track record of delivering on projects with cross-team impact
- Strong leadership with the ability to collaborate effectively across the organization
- Grit and a strong ownership mentality
- Plus: Proficiency with some of these languages: Java, Kotlin, Ruby, Python
- Plus: Experience working with complex domain models
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest, JUnit, or Cypress. On the backend, our services are written in Java with Spring Boot and Ruby on Rails. We have adopted gRPC for service API definition, and event-driven design based on AWS Kinesis Data Streams. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Elastic Container Service, and we are in the process of migrating to Kubernetes and Istio.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile
Flexport believes global trade can move the human race forward. Our mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. To achieve this, we’re building the “Operating System for Global trade” — a combination of modern, internet era technology & data analytics; logistics infrastructure; and supply chain expertise.
Flexport connects ~10k clients and suppliers across >100 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Founded in 2013, we've raised >$1.3B from SoftBank, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and YC. We’re excited to start seriously scaling up after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank’s Vision Fund early this year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.