Software Engineer, Security/Infrastructure
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft connects people to transportation to change the way we live and get around our communities. Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for Technical Program Managers to help us scale. Come be part of a new team at Lyft focused on enabling and empowering engineering teams to deliver at scale.
Our drivers and passengers entrust Lyft with their personal information and travel details to get where they're going and expect us to keep that data safe. Lyft's security team leads efforts across the company to ensure our systems are secure and worthy of our users' trust.
The security team designs and builds Lyft's security architecture, consult with other teams as they build and launch new products and features, proactively plans for the unexpected, and responds to incidents that occur. Our work affects the entire company and takes place at all levels of the stack, from infrastructure to web application security, as well as mobile apps, IT, and autonomous vehicles. We try to approach security from a software engineering standpoint. We believe in scaling security through automation and tooling and we ship frequently. Check out our blog posts at https://eng.lyft.com/tagged/security to learn more about some of the things we’ve built.
We're looking for an engineer who's excited about growing and improving security at Lyft by building systems and promoting security throughout the company. You'll play a part in shaping the future of security at Lyft, and your work will have significant impact and visibility.Responsibilities:
- Build tools and services that improve the security of our systems with an eye towards scalability and avoiding unnecessary friction
- Evangelize our shared security responsibility model by working with other teams to ensure that all critical systems and workflows are secure by default
- Work on embedding security best practices such as least privilege, isolation, monitoring, authentication and authorization across our infrastructure
- Develop runbooks for IT and security teams to handle incidents and help scale incident response activities within the team and across the company
- Investigate and handle alerts, reports of unusual behavior, and security incidents
- Provide security guidance on a constant stream of features and products
- Solid experience with a high level programming language (bonus points for experience with Python and shell scripts)
- Experience with (or a deep interest in) computer security, ideally in both attacking and defending web applications
- When facing a problem that's poorly defined or outside of your expertise, you can quickly learn what you need to dig in, make sense of the problem, and start working towards a solution
- You're a great communicator, and can advocate for your proposals while also empathizing with your teammates' goals and priorities
- You understand that security work must be prioritized because all teams have finite resources. You have good judgment and a sense of when to compromise and when to hold your ground
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or any other major cloud service provider
- Running multi-tier or distributed web applications at scale
- Computer network security or major computer networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, DNS)
- OS and container security and running fleets of endpoints or servers in the cloud
- Reverse engineering, malware analysis, or digital forensics
- Data classification or data privacy protection
- Cryptography, PKI, or key distribution
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.