Senior Design for Reliability Engineer - Mechanical
Palo Alto, CA
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. We are looking for engineers who have experience in bringing products from the early concept stages to production by working closely with design, validation and manufacturing teams on solving technical problems along the way to make the most robust products. If some of the first things that come to your mind when looking at a complex design is “what are the way this thing can fail and how can I make it better?” then, we are looking for you!
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- As a Design-for-Reliability Engineer focusing on mechanical systems, you will play a key role in designing reliability into the Rivian’s chassis systems products from concept to production phases.
- You will get to work with a world-class team of design and validation engineers to come up with creative solutions to some of the most challenging engineering problems by thinking outside the box.
- Be the resident reliability development expert to the chassis design team.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Minimum requirement is a Bachelor of Science in an engineering discipline or equivalent. Preferably one or more years of industry experience in a reliability engineering role. Level of Role depends on experience and qualifications. In addition, a strong technical background and interest in reliability.
- Experience with facilitating FMEAs and leading cross functional teams.
- Working knowledge of a coding language, preferably Python.
- Working knowledge of statistical software for reliability, such as JMP or the ReliaSoft suite.
- A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team culture.
- Physics of failure knowledge for mechanical systems
- Understanding of degradation of mechanical and structural components.
- Understanding of mechanics of materials, fracture mechanics and mechanical design.
- Understanding of Highly Accelerated Testing methods and governing equations for different types of failure mechanisms.
Must have domain knowledge:
- Experience with deploying reliability testing guidelines and inventing new ways of testing.
- Good understanding of reliability statistics including Weibull Analysis.
- Expertise in accelerated-life-test development methods for vehicle chassis components
- Working knowledge of vehicle dynamics.
- Understanding of metallic and plastic part design and manufacturing processes
- Experience in using CAD software (e.g. CATIA)
- Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDS.
- Working knowledge of chassis system and components
DAY IN LIFE
- Set and communicate Reliability requirements and targets for components, subsystems, and assemblies.
- Analyze usage and environmental conditions in order to improve requirement setting and testing methods.
- Facilitate Design FMEA sessions in order to drive reliable design choices and improve validation test planning.
- Participate in design reviews and facilitate the reliability section of the design review.
- Develop reliability design guidelines and apply reliability lessons learned to enable continuous improvement.
- Devise accelerated test methods to explore design margins and grow reliability efficiently.
- Partner with the simulation teams to assess problem areas before physical parts are available for testing.
- Specify reliability validation plans for components and subsystems using a physics of failure approach.
- Provide guidance on sample size requirements and duration for reliability testing by utilizing reliability statistics.
- Facilitate failure analysis to understand root cause and drive resolution for failures originating in testing.
- Assess and clearly communicate risk at each phase of the reliability program.
- Research failure mechanisms of new technologies and applications. Create designed experiments (DOE) to explore alternative choices on materials, processes, and designs.
- Influence supplier selection for higher reliability and provide clear guidance on reliability requirements and demonstration to suppliers.
- Collaborate with the Sustaining Reliability Team to develop Ongoing Reliability Testing strategies.
- Be the gatekeeper of reliability risk throughout product development and drive activities to successfully burn-down risk before SOP.
- Partner with Field Reliability and Failure Analysis to assure reliability lessons learned are incorporated into future products.
Job tags: Python Reliability engineering