Principal Software Engineer, Infrastructure
San Francisco, United States
Are you interested in working with some of the best minds and making a difference in the lives of hundreds of millions of people? Are you passionate about helping Airbnb achieve our mission to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere?
Airbnb exists to create a world that is smaller, where you can go to any community and someone says, “Welcome to my home; where home isn’t just a house, but any community to which you belong. A world where every door is unlocked and every host treats you like family. Where every city is a village and every block a community. In this world, we can become anything we want. This is the magical world of Airbnb!
Infrastructure at Airbnb:
The Infrastructure team at Airbnb provides a cohesive set of foundational technology offerings that enable Airbnb to easily deliver scalable, data-powered, and global products. We are looking for candidates who share a passion across some of the following areas:
- Developer Platform: Make it extremely easy to build, test and deploy a new backend service, web/native code, ML models, and other developer tools. Engineers enjoy a world-class build, test, deploy experience irrespective of the language or platform.
- Cloud Infrastructure: Provide the foundational infrastructure components that empower Airbnb businesses to develop rapidly, reliably and scale globally, e.g. core compute provisioning, core cloud provider abstractions, traffic infrastructure, network infrastructure and resilience engineering.
- Data Platform: Enable end-to-end data across production and offline systems, including core databases, caching, logging, Amazon S3, and Amazon EMR. Enable universal data-informed decision making through an integrated suite of analytics frameworks, services and applications. Empower every team at Airbnb to build, train, and deploy high-quality ML models as well as build AI/ML technologies to power magical travel experiences.
- Search Infrastructure: Build the backend systems that power searching across the entire end-to-end trip, including the knowledge graph.
We are looking for an engineer who is passionate about the cloud native ecosystem and leveraging it to enable Airbnb engineers to do the best work of their lives. In this role you will report directly to the Head of Infrastructure and be a key member of the Infrastructure leadership team. You will play a critical role in understanding the infrastructure needs of our technology organization, then aiding in the architecture and implementation of world class solutions.
- Drives the architecture and implementation of Airbnb’s infrastructure technology roadmap.
- Partners with the senior engineering community at Airbnb to guide our overall technical direction.
- Deeply understands the open source and vendor ecosystem to inform build vs. buy decisions
- Builds a culture of technical excellence within Infrastructure, starting with our technical review process
- Maintains close connections with key customers throughout Airbnb
For this role, we value candidates who have:
- 15+ years of technology work experience.
- Demonstrated excellence working in one or more Infrastructure domain areas (Build-Test-Deploy, Data Infrastructure, Kubernetes, etc.).
- Proof points of creating a long term technical architecture and driving it forward through execution.
- Good written and verbal communication skills; partners well with other technology leaders.
- Experience with or passion for the cloud native ecosystem (AWS, CNCF, etc.).
- Collaborated with multiple stakeholders in a matrixed organization.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…