Director of Site Reliability Engineering
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the role:
Vox Media is seeking a Director of Site Reliability Engineering to join our Engineering team. We are building something great, and our leadership group recognizes that in order to build and operate a great platform, we need great infrastructure and a great SRE team. To that end, we are hiring the best people and giving them a simple mandate: to make our platform as stable, secure, and performant as can be.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the effort to build and manage a talented team of engineers that is responsible for the design, planning, implementation and operation of our network, server and service infrastructure.
- Ensure that Vox Media’s services are performant, scalable, highly-available, and cost-effective.
- Articulate a strategic vision for the future of technical operations at Vox Media and work directly with engineering team members and leadership to execute that vision.
- Promote infrastructure as code (IaC) and integrated CI/CD for infrastructure provisioning and deployment.
- Develop strategic relationships with key vendors and internal business units.
- Provide high levels of system monitoring with an understanding of reliability, availability, and failure management/mitigation needs.
- Provide disaster recovery solutions to maintain stable, secure, and compliant environments.
- Manage the operational and fiscal activities of the department including staffing levels, budgets, operational controls and processes, and financial goals.
- Communicate plans and ensure that systems are consistent with technology and engineering direction.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience working with production web application stacks at scale: You have made performance tweaks and optimizations at the system level, in your network hardware, in the database, and in the application stack. DDoS attacks are part of the job you've come to accept—but you have a point of view on how to mitigate them.
- Value for configuration management and a point of view on how the process should work: Perhaps you have extended a CM system's functionality in some clever way. Maybe you've open-sourced your work.
- A healthy paranoia: You acknowledge your fears but will face them having full confidence in your own abilities and in the research and testing you've done ahead of time, and in your solid rollback plan.
- A knack for problem solving: You perform well under pressure and can come up with clever improvisations on the fly, but you’re happiest when building durable long-term solutions.
For more on what it's like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.