Software Engineer, i18n Infrastructure
San Francisco, CA
What is the i18n Infra team at Airbnb?
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. The Internationalization (i18n) engineering team powers this mission by building systems that enable Airbnb to ship to a global audience. Airbnb is international. 69% of bookings connect a guest and host from different countries. 61% of bookings connect a guest and host who use Airbnb in different languages. In 2019, Airbnb doubled its language offerings to 62 and in Bytelevel Research’s 2020 Globalization Report Card Airbnb ranked in the top 10 global websites for the first time.
The I18n team is a part of the Developer Platform org within Infrastructure and works closely with our broader Globalization team to contribute directly to top-line goals as well as make the entire engineering organization more productive. We are infrastructure engineers with a human focus: customer-centric, quality driven, helpful and empathetic.
Aligned with our company mission, Belong Anywhere, we value the importance of diversity and belonging in the workplace, and that's why we commit to not discriminating on basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Some of the focus areas for the i18n team are:
- Building a scalable infrastructure to manage and deliver localized content on all Airbnb product surfaces
- Building the next generation of machine-driven translation workflows for dynamic user-generated content
- Helping Airbnb engineers to seamlessly integrate internationalization capabilities in their code
What will an engineer on i18n Infra do?
Millions of users across the world engage with the Airbnb app in multiple languages every day. As an engineer on the i18n Infra team, you would be critical to the continued success and broad appeal of of Airbnb. In this role, you will have an opportunity to:
- Build scalable systems supporting high qps realtime translation requests and efficient retrieval of translated content
- Build intuitive workflows and tools to serve the needs of Airbnb engineers as well as Airbnb’s Localization Program Managers
- Drive down costs and land performance wins via impactful optimizations and infrastructure upgrades
- Work cross-functionally with partners in Globalization, Data Science, product teams and external vendors
- Be part of an impactful infrastructure team while contributing to and learning industry best practices on internationalization
We’re looking for engineers who:
- Want to tackle projects with large open-ended scope and drive significant business impact
- Love collaborating via product reviews, code reviews and architecture discussions
- Are motivated to improve their teammates’ productivity
- Will be owners and stewards of Airbnb’s multilingual capabilities
Who we are looking for:
- 3+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in one or more back-end server languages (Java/Ruby/Go/C++/etc.)
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, data pipelines and efficient algorithms
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product and data science partners
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…