Site Reliability Engineer (Embedded)
TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our Security Product team in London, who is responsible for the global security features of the TransferWise products.
For our customers, using TransferWise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on TransferWise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
The Security Product team is responsible for user authentication, security settings management, account recovery and more. Without these services being robust and resilient to failure, it means customers cannot even access TransferWise’s products. We want to deliver sustainable solutions for product teams, with a healthy dose of paranoia knowing how complex, distributed systems can fail.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- You will be working hands-on as an SRE, but embedded with the Security Product team responsible for the authentication and authorization of our customers. It means making tradeoffs when it comes to convenience and security, as well as availability and consistency of this crucial access layer.
- We expect knowledge of OAuth2, user and potentially, service-to-service security, especially how it scales in a reliable manner. Security Product is not the only team that has implemented the Authn+Authz domains, but important to collaborate and be able to take an architectural view of these approaches and services. This means monitoring, observability and testing are fundamental when it comes to talking problems and solutions.
Is that you?
- Strong experience in Java, Spring Boot/Framework/configuration, especially in designing and implementing libraries and frameworks
- Experience with authentication/authorization domains and frameworks, e.g. OAuth2.0, SAML
- Knowledge of security best practices and working on vulnerabilities with a bug bounty program
- Experience with microservices, Docker containerisation and Kubernetes
- Basic sysadmin skills in debugging issues with disk, network, app/JVM performance etc
- Will not settle at all for downtime and outages, do not want to be woken up in the middle of the night
Nice to Have
- Good knowledge of relational (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases
- Experience with building out scalable and automated Cloud platforms on preferably AWS
- Knowledge and an eye on newer architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, observability
- Have clear understanding of the test pyramid, including end-to-end functional and/or load tests at scale
- Experience with advanced release and change management processes
Key Areas of the role;
- Define and create standard operating procedures that are compliant and auditable
- Ownership of mission-critical shared infrastructure - run, maintain and schedule upgrades
- Isolation of environments and work with various engineering teams to figure out how to best suit their needs
- Sees failover and DR events as something that needs to happen with regularity and should be seamless
- Engage regularly with our blameless postmortem culture, always focused on continuous improvement
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.