Staff DevOps Engineer
San Francisco, CA (HQ) & Remote: CA, IL, MI, NY, PA, TX
Lob is building a suite of APIs to simplify and automate enterprise workflows. Our most popular product is our print and mail API that enables companies to send physical mail as effortlessly as sending emails. This API helps individuals and enterprise customers programmatically send physical mail at scale. Our second API focuses on address verification. Our long-term goal is to provide the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world through APIs. We’re looking for great problem-solvers to help us figure out how. We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
Our engineering team values agility, collaboration, and autonomy. We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on new problems that no other companies have solved before.
As a senior member of our DevOps team, you will help shape the foundational systems that all Lob engineers use to develop and deploy their applications, make infrastructure easier to understand and maintain, and manage many service primitives (e.g. security, metrics, logging) to help orchestrate our growing services ecosystem.
Our primary goal is to build systems that are easy to use so that Lob's product engineers can create new features and provide value to our customers as fast as possible. An effective member of the DevOps Engineering team is a force multiplier for the entire engineering organization. We have the luxury of being close to the users of our systems, so we get lots of feedback about where we should be spending our time. This means that the work that we do is very high impact.
As a Staff DevOps Engineer, you'll...
- Manage shared systems and services, such as the data warehouse, docker orchestrator, service registry, secrets management and more.
- Write production-quality tools to reduce toil for the Engineering team and help automate the technical ecosystem to help us scale.
- Assist other teams to utilize our observability tools to debug production systems
- Be a pioneer and advocate for open-source technologies and SAS services for Lob that could help solve some fundamental challenges (e.g. CI/CD, container orchestration, logging, etc)
For this role, we're looking for...
- 5+ years of experience building HA infrastructure on cloud hosted systems (AWS/GCP)
- 3+ years of experience in software development with fluency in a programming language (NodeJS, Go, Python, Ruby, etc).
- Experience working with modern devops tooling, understanding concepts/tooling such as Infrastructure as Code (Terraform), Docker Orchestration, service discovery, secrets management etc.
- Experience working in teams to develop and support production-quality tools and/or services to support internal teams (engineer, data, etc). This ranges from database management, system monitoring, secrets management, and more.
- Solid understanding and experience working in AWS and its service offerings
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines with other engineering teams using established platforms/tools (CircleCI, GH actions, Buildkite, Jenkins, etc).
- A track record of successful devops/platform-related project delivery. You’ve done engineering work at the senior level, solving complex technical challenges at web-scale. You’ve had to weigh difficult trade-offs and live with your decisions, and you can tell us what you’ve learned from them.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them. As a senior member of the engineering team, you will be an ambassador for the infrastructure team and provide technical guidance and mentorship for other engineers.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Bonus points for...
- Professional experience working with Docker orchestration tools in the past: Kubernetes, Mesos, Nomad, etc.
- Managing hybrid environments of in-house and SAS service: authentication/authorization, observability, etc.
- Managing large production databases clusters at scale (PostgreSQL/MySQL)
- Building, managing, maintaining machine images (Packer/Ansible/Salt).
- Track record of implementing good SRE practices
- Security-consciousness: Best practices, IDS, and more
- Managed/monitoring message queue systems: RabbitMQ, Kafka, AWS EventBridge
- Bringing something new: Built a cool tool? Open source contributions? Love to hear and learn about them.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals