Cloud Data Services Site Reliability Engineer
Sydney, New South Wales, AU
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The IBM Cloud Data services team is responsible for developing and operating the Software as a Service offerings that provide Data Services in IBM Cloud.
- IBM Cloudant
- Databases for PostgreSQL
- Databases for Redis
- Databases for Elasticsearch
- Database for etcd
- Databases for MongoDB
- Messages for RabbitMQ
- IBM Event Streams (IBM's Apache Kafka offering)
You will be joining a vibrant team with exciting development opportunities for your professional career. If you enjoy engaging with customers, embracing new cloud technologies and have a passion to work within a CI/CD environment, we will love to have a chat with you!
Apart from mitigating operational issues related to database offerings, you will get to drive and implement new tools, create applications to gather insights into out platform and work closely with our worldwide teams to gain first-and experience on latest database technologies
Engineers that have been successful in this area typically have:
- Track record of understanding the customer problem, taking ownership, and collaborating with others to troubleshoot and define options for overcoming it.
- Great communication skills where they can summarize the customer problem and trials to others and take back recommendations to the customer
- Ability to self-prioritize issues based on customer impact
- Analyzing system and application logs to understand the root of the problem
- Ability to bring back any learning and advocate for or implement improvements to troubleshooting documentation or software
- A solid engineering underpinning to understand what high-availability means
- They will understand and be skilled in Software component development, Container based deployments and best practice in Security, Compliance, High Availability, Resilience.
Required skills (Up to 5 years experience)
- Bachelor's in Engineering, Computer Science, or relevant experience
- Experience with developing monitoring for production components and instrumenting code for observability
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks
- Experience in Systems Engineering, such as Linux I/O tuning, performance, memory management and troubleshooting
- Experience with programming languages.
- Experience with developing and operating complex mission-critical production database systems
- Experience with troubleshooting issues in production systems
- Capability to work in a global, multicultural and diverse environment
- Fluent English
- Able to work weekends on rotational basis (~ once a month)
- There is no requirement to be an expert in any one language. However, knowledge of Go, Python, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Chef are useful. Knowledge in operating highly-available databases such as PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, etcd production environments and/or event streaming technologies such as Apache Kafka would also be useful.
- Experienced in working with containerised workloads and management platforms like Docker or Kubernetes.
- Knowledge in operating highly-available RabbitMQ, Cassandra, and MongoDB environments
- Experience with database internals and diagnosing memory leaks, data corruption, replication, database performance and tuning.
- Past experience working with public cloud platforms like IBM Cloud, AWS, Azure or others.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with excellent communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: Apache AWS Azure CD Chef CI Docker Elasticsearch Go High availability Kafka Kubernetes Linux MongoDB PostgreSQL Python RabbitMQ Redis Streaming