Site Reliability Engineer (Embedded)
TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join us to work with the Web guild and various product-facing teams on our growing fleet of node.js microservices.
For our customers, using TransferWise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact onTransferWise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Our SRE team is responsible for building the runtime framework and libraries, which ensure microservices run in a robust and resilient manner. We want to deliver sustainable solutions for product teams, with a healthy dose of paranoia knowing how complex, distributed systems can fail.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- You will be working hands on as an SRE, but embedded with the product teams that are building brilliant user experiences for customers. The JS engineers work in different teams, but meet frequently together as the Web guild, to collaborate around certain common problems they may have. We want to ensure that anyone using TransferWise receives a fast, consistent, reliable and accessible experience, throughout all of our products.
- We expect ownership and knowledge of the node.js and V8 stack in depth, especially as it scales. Knowing the ins and outs of Web technologies and how content gets delivered to a customer’s browser is key - we are always looking to evolve. Testing, automation and monitoring has to be key, for both the server and client side, so we deliver quality and make data-driven decisions when it comes to technology.
Is that you?
- Experience with node.js, V8 engine and backend services written in JS
- Understanding of client-side and server-side rendering, the role of middleware and frameworks like next.js
- Knowledge of Web protocols and technologies (HTTP, DNS, CDNs) that power the Internet
- Experience with monitoring and observability tooling, especially focused on customer experience end-to-end
- Understanding of distributed systems, scalability and tradeoffs when it comes to consistency and availability
- Will not settle at all for downtime and outages, do not want to be woken up in the middle of the night
Nice to Have
- Security of js/node.js - OWASP, vulnerabilities, injection attacks, package management
- Frontend / client-side JS knowledge, such as TypeScript, React, DOM, CORS, rendering
- Containerisation technology and various orchestration platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes
- Knowledge and an eye on newer architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, backend-for-frontend, GraphQL
- Basic sysadmin skills in debugging issues with disk, network, app/JVM performance etc
Key Areas of the role;
- Collaboration and working with multiple product engineering teams
- Understand how failure modes, graceful degradation and failover should happen. Events like these should happen with regularity and should be seamless
- Engage regularly with our blameless postmortem culture, always focused on continuous improvement
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.