Senior DevOps Engineer, Corp Core
Palo Alto, California, United States
The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
This role is on the Corp Core team within our Corporations Business Unit. We are the flagship product of Carta and we provide Equity Plan Management for Private and Public companies. Today, we manage upwards of 1 trillion of equity! We are a collaborative and passionate group of professionals that includes product managers and engineers. We’re united by a common mission to create more owners and simplify equity management. We place a high premium on experimentation and validated learning and we focus on being values and mission-driven, not didactic or prescriptive.
We use a variety of technologies including Helm, Kubernetes, Docker, Django, and Python. The teams are facing the challenges of deployment pipelines and scaling our services so we can support Carta’s next generation of service oriented architecture.
The Problems You’ll Solve
- Work cross functionally with other engineering teams within the BU to establish policies and frameworks for service deployment and data synchronization.
- Solve complex dependencies for our critical services and build automation solutions to prevent future problems.
- Develop automation scripts to streamline system upgrades and pipelines to improve deployment cycle.
- Maximize and maintain high availability of systems and services while ensuring our services are meeting their SLOs.
- Influence new designs and architecture, best practices, and standards in supporting and improving Technology platforms.
- Establish monitoring and alerting of production systems and critical applications.
- Work cross functionally to support the teams with other parts of the organization.
- Help with development activities as time permits.
The Impact You’ll Have
- Working on the biggest organization at Carta
- Helping bring in the highest revenue of the company
- Creating solutions to be used for our biggest audience (over 15,000 VC backed companies)
- Creating leverage for companies by building tools to empower them managing their equity plans, stock positioning, and capitalization table
The successful candidate will be part of a cross functional team of engineers + product managers. You will have an extremely high EQ and IQ and have a strong bias towards collaboration. We are optimizing for strong senior engineers with at least 5+ years of experience who are excited about the opportunities to work with fast moving teams with experience working with:
- Hosting distributed systems on a cloud provider (GCP or AWS)
- Containerization technologies (specifically, Docker and Kubernetes)
- Working with scalable infrastructures
- A mindset for “infrastructure as code” (using tools like Helm, Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.)
- CI/CD tooling (Jenkins, CircleCI)
- Ideally experience coding in Python and Django.
The Interview Process
Our team believes that interviews are a two-way process and we strive to make them enjoyable without any “gotchas.” The interview process starts with a call with a member of our warm, amazing recruiting team who will tell you more about the job and the company. Then, you’ll meet the engineering manager for the Corp Core team, Manny, who will walk you through the specifics of the position, the team structure, what we’re looking for, and of course, answer any questions you will have. This interview will last 30 minutes. Then, there’s a technical screen where you’ll have the choice of a Codility take-home assignment or being paired with one of the engineers on our team for a 60 minute pair programming exercise. Finally, we will schedule you for another four to five meetings with other team members. You’ll discuss everything from coding and design to Carta’s culture to cross-team collaboration and what you can expect, and what is expected from you.