Avionics Operations & Automation Engineer
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS OPERATIONS AND AUTOMATION ENGINEER
This group is dedicated to enabling engineers to focus on development by creating software that can rapidly and reliably configure, evaluate, and launch our vehicles. This means developing software test infrastructure for hardware-in-the-loop testbeds, eliminating recurring engineering tasks, evaluating vehicle performance versus expected behavior, and expediting engineering software deliverables to our production team.
- Develop interdisciplinary software solutions to optimize engineering time and eliminate recurring tasks
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews
- Analyze processes for potential automation improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience coding in an object-oriented language such as Python or C++ (significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- In-depth understanding of avionics systems
- Ability to identify customer needs, gather requirements, and execute independently
- Ability to take on projects that require taking initiative and developing new expertise
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, and unit testing
- Creative approach to problem solving and exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements
- Competence with multiple languages and technologies (Python, C++, MATLAB, SQL)
- Familiar with Agile software development techniques, particularly test-driven development, and continuous integration
- Experience with database management
- Ability to make appropriate assumptions and perform trade studies using first principles and engineering fundamentals to create rationale for clear recommendations
- Familiarity with vehicle test and flight operation processes
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment with ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and ability to succinctly present recommendations to stakeholders, the customer, and management
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment, including frequent interactions with technicians, other engineers, and managers
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.