Software/Data Engineer - Messaging Data Infrastructure
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
We are looking for a Software/Data Engineer to join our Messaging Data Infrastructure team in Tallinn. You will design and build data platforms and services, while managing our data infrastructure in cloud environments that fuels strategic business decisions across Twilio. You will partner with other engineers and product managers to translate data needs into critical information that can be used to implement scalable data platforms and self service tools. We are looking for someone who is passionate about solving problems using engineering and data, thrives in an evolving environment, brings an enthusiastic and collaborative attitude, and delights in making a difference. As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering and a proven record of solving data problems at scale, leveraging distributed data systems. You are a self-starter, embody a growth mindset and can collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
Twilio is looking for an exceptional individual who lives Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record in conceiving and delivering Data Warehouse solutions at company-wide scale.
- 3-5 years of data engineering experience in a fast paced company that delivers software
- Knowledge of all phases of software development including requirements analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging, implementation and support
- Experience in Java or Scala
- Experience in distributed environments like Kafka, Spark, Hive, Presto etc.
- Experience working with various file formats like Parquet, Avro, Hudi for large volumes of data
- Experience with one or more NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, MongoDB, DynamoDB etc.
- Experience with modern warehouse data systems like Redshift, Snowflake etc. is a plus
- Experience building data solutions in full stack environment with micro services principles
- Strong understanding of engineering best practices and design principles
- Experience working in an agile environment and iterative development
- Collaborative mindset and ability to work with distributed, cross-functional teams
- Solid communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate your point of view
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent experience
We welcome diverse candidates with different levels of seniority and experience.
You live the Twilio Magic values:
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Be part of a small, high-impact and multi-talented engineering team. Show strong engagement in the team setting and collaborate across multiple disciplines.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Passion for and demonstrated track record of executing product opportunities deeply grounded in customer needs
- DRAW THE OWL: Self-starter who can see the big picture and prioritize work to make the largest impact
- BE BOLD: Help us take one of the world’s most extensive communication data sets and transform it into cutting-edge AI applications and products that solve meaningful customer problems
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborating and brainstorming product ideas with product managers, machine learning engineers, data scientists and software engineers
- DON’T SETTLE: Experienced working at a massive scale with distributed, scalable systems, including making tradeoffs for consistency/availability
- NO SHENANIGANS: Experience successfully applying data science and machine learning to real-world problems
When a message (ex SMS, WhatsApp, push notification, etc) is sent or received using Twilio, the Messaging stack transports and stores (where applicable) critical events for functional, billing and telemetry purposes. Data Infrastructure team provides the services that are the backbone for such events. The Data Infrastructure services are required to be scalable and highly available due to the criticality of its role for our business. We are looking for a Software/Data Engineer to complement our team in building out our Messaging Data Platform and develop our data pipeline for models in production.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn, though considering the world’s current circumstances will start as remote.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.