Engineering Manager, Site Reliability
Zapiermakes you happier :)
Posted 1 month ago
We're looking for an Engineering Manager, SRE to lead a growing engineering team at Zapier. Here you will lead the team, and improve service reliability by using a software engineering approach to operations. Using site reliability principles and a robust approach to observability, you will not only fix problems but solve the issues that contributed to them when things go wrong.
This position works closely with the teams in our Production Engineering Zone to provide and maintain the tools and systems that support all of Zapier engineering. You will interact with every engineering team in the organization, and maintaining excellent relationships and communicating effectively with those teams regularly is key to success. Our Site Reliability Engineer’s are all over the world, with follow the sun coverage. This team often works asynchronously with little overlap. Trust and leadership are a big part of this role.
Interested in helping build the systems and platforms that powers engineering and automation for millions of professionals? Then read on…
Zapier is rapidly scaling and growing, and you will work directly on the applications that support over 5 million customers. When bad things happen, you will support your team to solve contributing causes, to learn from failures, and to build a robust and resilient system for our customers.
To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier:
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if:
You're motivated by building effective engineering teams and are passionate about site reliability engineering principles.
You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first rodeo. You know how to hire, train, and develop Site Reliability Engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive SRE team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before who work on business critical systems. You don’t need to be in the same room with them.
You have a background in Site Reliability Engineering. You’re comfortable talking about SLOs, incident management and building a culture of reliability. You have empathy for our customers and our engineers who use our systems, and are eager to improve it for them. You seek to reduce toil, and understand what it means to take a software engineering approach to operations.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and product manage multiple projects. We're a small team, and there's no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You'll carve out time for functional projects and make sure they solve real problems the team and organization faces -- making development even easier, building a culture of reliability, and delivering outstanding service to our customers.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders, balancing engineering concerns, such as technical debt, with product concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions. As a leader in Site Reliability, you understand how impactful the work you and your team will do, and how it affects the entire organization.
You are a skilled engineer. You've got a background and familiarity working in our stack (Kubernetes, Python, AWS) -- even if you aren't a daily coder, you regularly exercise your technical muscles and try to be an asset on any technical context your team may need. In this role, it is important to understand the technologies and key concepts in delivering software as a service.
You're adaptable. You've been in fast growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you'll probably do:
- Work closely with engineering peers to provide reliable and high performing solutions aligned with the aspects of high performing software delivery and systems.
- Advance Site Reliability Engineering as a practice across Engineering.
- Drive process for incident management and on-call response.
- Work within an Agile framework to provide the common infrastructure and developer infrastructure that enables Zapier engineering.
- Execute and deliver on the strategic vision of Production Engineering by identifying and delivering relevant backlog items.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-one's, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of you Engineering Team (and beyond!) Support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Zapier -- moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, improving developer experience, smoothing edges -- sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews, or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.