Software Engineering Manager (Platform & DevOps) - Takealot
takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Software Engineering Manager (Platform / DevOps) to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
The position reports to the Platform Engineering Director
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager (Platform / DevOps) who is a self-starter and is comfortable in a results driven environment. The Engineering Manager is primarily responsible for building a world class engineering team, ensuring the team is operating at its most effective in order to deliver an efficient, stable, secure and scalable platform on top of which takealot.com is built. You will help lead the teams which support a culture of DevOps, helping development teams get more for free, enabling them to move faster, and safer. Takealot is a fast growing company which means there’s a lot of opportunity to shape the vision for the platform, and the supporting tools, technologies and processes used across Engineering.
- Build and retain a high calibre engineering team
- Build relationships through regular one on one conversations
- Remove roadblocks and interruptions to help the team perform
- Work with stakeholders to gather requirements, and manage expectations
- Support and develop the careers of members of the team
- Support and give direction to innovation in the team
- Present practical input for strategic technology decisions
- Stay up to date with industry trends, and standards
- Lead the Agile processes within the team
- Manage the roadmap for the team, playing a key role in prioritization
- Facilitate discussions in the team
- Resolve conflict in the team when necessary
- Promote the achievements of the team
- Track and ensure team productivity is healthy using a metrics based approach
- Track and ensure operational excellence in the team using a metrics based approach
- Interview candidates for technical and organizational fit
- Drive innovation, vision and strategy
- Manage budgets, forecasts, and costs
- 5+ years in development and management roles
- Proven track record of leading and managing teams on complex software projects
- Experience with a broad range of related disciplines such as Development, Cloud Infrastructure, Build Systems, Release Automation, Site Reliability, Provisioning, Configuration Management, and Managed Systems.
- Experience with Open Source Operating Systems and technologies
- Experience with Web Architectures (e.g. SOA, REST)
- Excellent understanding of theoretical Software Engineering fundamentals, including but not limited to distributed systems, highly scalable systems, algorithms, data structures, design patterns, and programming paradigms is advantageous
- B.Sc in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field is advantageous
- Experience with e-commerce based applications is advantageous
- Experience with Python, Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Docker, and Linux is advantageous
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Practical experience of various approaches to Agile
- Results driven
- Great communication skills
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference