Remote - US East Coast
Our Team Mission
In this role you will not only be a technical leader paving the pathway to success for GitHub's customers, but also the catalyst of positive transformation, applying GitHub's world class approaches founded on our Values. Furthermore, you will collaborate with internal teams at GitHub and help deliver world-class solutions to customers by bridging the gap between GitHub's customers and GitHub's engineering teams. You will understand GitHub customer goals and will work with your teams and customers to create tailored scalable solutions.
The team manager will apply Management Fundamentals to help the team learn and grow in their career, be a pillar of technical fortitude, and to provide our customers with amazing experiences.
- As a primary component of this role you will need to maintain an advanced expertise in git
- It is a core expectation that you are comfortable in the topics and details of Pro Git
- You will need to reach and maintain expert level knowledge of the GitHub API, knowing how to leverage the product to effectively address customer challenges and find solutions
- While software development is not a core attribute of the role, the development of scripts, CI/CD pipelines, and GitHub Apps is a large component of the work
- Knowledge of the Rest API is necessary for creating solutions
- Knowledge of the GraphQL (v4) API is necessary for creating solutions
- You will need to have the ability to troubleshoot virtual machines in various cloud environments
- GitHub Enterprise Server is a core product that many of our customers use. You will need to learn and maintain expertise in the architecture and maintenance of the GitHub appliance to assist with troubleshooting
- You will work with various architectures for the GitHub appliance, including clustering, and high availability
- You will be a thought leader and operate with a proactive mindset to help deliver solutions beyond customer expectations
- You will help customers understand and plan adoption of new GitHub Product features and updates, such as GitHub Enterprise Server major/minor releases, either through discussion or demonstration
- You will learn new GitHub Product features, such as Actions, Pull Panda, Semmle
- You will work very collaboratively with Solution Architects, Implementation Engineers, and internal product teams, as well as our customers to understand the customer needs and to deliver tailored solutions for customers
- You will need the ability to weigh the tradeoffs of technology choices, and provide detailed actionable plans
- You are expected to be an expert in the area of software delivery through modern practices
- Your communications to our customers will be delivered in the context of a GitHub expert, with little to no ambiguity in solutioning and/or prescription, is in a tone that uses the GitHub Voice and Tone, and is technically consistent as if it were answered by any GitHub internal team (such as Sales, Support, Engineering, Product, etc)
- You will collaborate with GitHub internal teams if you are unable or unsure of a proper answer that is either out of your technical expertise or in the scope of another team
- You will work with the Engagement Manager on the how of the delivery, especially with more complex solutions and projects
- You will work with the Engagement Manager to have detailed follow up describing what was accomplished
- You may visit customers onsite per Statement of Work criteria during various stages of the customer lifecycle
Expectations for GitHub
- You will understand and apply GitHub's Values and the guidelines in our Handbook
- You will complete and provide a monthly engagement report in collaboration with the Solution Architect team manager for consumption by both our internal GitHub teams and by our customers
- You will use our internal channels to continuously keep your customer's Sales and Solution Engineer team members up-to-date on status of the engagement
- You will participate in conversations with the Professional Services team to progress technical and other learning knowledge in our team channels
- You will be conscious of open sourcing and teaching about solutions delivered to your customers that can be adapted for other Professional Services provider engagements
- You will actively participate in Professional Services team discussions and attend team meetings, reasonably considering your time zone, current travel, and OOO activities
- You listen for opportunities to improve team operations, either technical or process oriented, and contribute where possible to iterate on these improvements
How Success Is Measured
It is important to note this also should include your own personal goals, career aspirations, and a focus on your health and sustainability. Always know you can reach out to your manager or another Hubber if you need help with achieving or aligning. We want you to feel supported, be happy and have a healthy/sustainable experience. We are excited to have you as part of the team, and want you to feel the same way.
Weekly 1:1s are held and used to chat about anything, and optionally everything! Notes are posted in the private repositories. We can also use the cadence to re-visit measurement of success. A great way to accomplish this can be asynchronously in 1:1 issue comments.
- Success from the customer perspective: You accurately know and can articulate the pulse of the customer, and they have a satisfactory/exceptional view of their Services engagement
- Success from GitHub's perspective: Our Sales team can quickly understand the status of the engagement(s) you are leading. Data exists or can be provided when a GitHub stakeholder would like a deeper understanding of the engagement
- Success from the team manager's perspective: You are meeting or exceeding the expectations defined in this document and reach out for help when needed
The team manager should provide a Product Owner perspective on team objectives, strategy, and provide resources and guidance on completing OKRs.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.