Software Engineer, Core Storage & Infrastructure
We’re looking for an Infrastructure Software Engineer with experience and/or strong passion for operating services at scale. You will work with a world-class team of engineers on deploying and operating existing systems, and building new ones for problems that are unique to our problem space. We are looking for big thinkers and innovators to take on this problem space and deliver world class solutions.
The Core Storage and Infrastructure team builds the foundational storage layer (MySql, DynamoDB, Redis, Elastic Search, Zookeeper) and core infrastructure (our async jobs framework and load balancers) to support our web and mobile applications, as well as our robust API. We develop and operate the software that enables Asana’s scalability, performance, and robustness. We manage a wide scope, all the way from provisioning for our web servers and database instances to re-architecting, building, and operating high scale backend services to abstract away our key-value storage. Each day, we combine industry best-practices and innovation to support Asana. There are plenty of unsolved and unique problems to work on in the team.
What you’ll achieve
You will have a unique opportunity to design, develop, and operate services that power Asana. You’ll work on cross-functional projects to help define the future of core storage for Asana, how we architect and operate critical services at scale. You will also enable engineers to roll-out new features and services safely - through tooling, best practices, and production readiness reviews. You will work on projects that impact many engineering teams at Asana. You will also experience the internals and best practices of running applications in the cloud (AWS) and all the state-of-the-art tooling around it.
Day to day you will:
- Analyze problems, consider alternative solutions/trade-offs, and make key technical implementation decisions to help guide storage need at Asana
- Collaborate closely with other infrastructure teams to define and build our service oriented architecture
- Develop frameworks, services, and the necessary tooling to power our storage layer and enable other engineering teams
- Evangelize good code and solid engineering and operability practices
- Support design reviews, communicate constraints, and help engineers make the right trade-offs
- Develop high quality code and keep our services up and running by being part of our on-call rotation and investigate and resolve production problems
- Have expertise in programming and computer science, and have a strong interest in distributed systems
- 3+ years writing and shipping production code
- 1+ years experience in operating highly available production services
- Are looking for a blameless and open environment where you and your teammates empower one another moving towards a shared goal
- Are willing and able to collaborate with different roles and functions across Asana with a keen sense of empathy
- You’re a fast learner and can contribute from day one
Nice to have
- Experience with operating high scale database instances, especially on AWS
- Good understanding of datastores, SQL and NoSQL
- Familiarity with AWS Services (IAM, DynamoDB, RDS, EKS, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and experience of SRE principles (and have opinions about)
- Experience building scalable, highly-available service oriented architectures
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. More than 75,000 organizations and millions of users rely on Asana, including AirAsia, AllBirds, Grab, KLM Air France, Kohl’s, Sephora, Traveloka, and Viessmann. Asana has been named a Top 5 Best Workplace and the #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area by Fortune three years in a row, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. With nine global offices, including a San Francisco headquarters and flagship offices in Dublin, New York, Sydney, and Tokyo, Asana is always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status, and we'd love to learn about what you can add to our team.
- Rethinking the org chart: Areas of Responsibility (AoRs)
- Distributed responsibility: An engineering manager’s perspective
- The Pyramid of Clarity