Engineering Team Leader (ETL) - Ocean Infrastructure
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative hardware and software systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What does the team do
The Linux Platform team’s main objective is to ensure Ocado’s Linux, Unix, IBM Power, Storage and related infrastructure is running reliably, securely and continually improved. We automate everything we can. You will be responsible for leading this expert team through coaching, mentoring and collaboration. People management is your driver and what motivates you in your role. Your people leadership ability is the key attribute that will enable your success. You are a true team player with a “can do” attitude and display an excellent customer service mindset.
How you'll spend your days...
- Leading and coaching an expert technical team
- Fostering collaboration within and between teams
- Helping to build effective and visible team processes that enable high throughput
- Supporting the team to roadmap and engineer Linux related platforms
- Provide Support to key stakeholders and customers including Operations and Development teams
- Identifying and addressing automation opportunities through coding and tools
- Building and maintaining high-quality Runbook documentation
What we are looking for
- Proven experience of leading, managing, mentoring and motivating a technically focused team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience of creating feedback loops
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of service management including Change Management and formal Service Levels
- A drive for personal development
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Knowledge and experience of Agile methodologies
- Experience in Linux deployment and configuration systems such as Puppet and CMDB
- Experience in constructing business cases to justify investments
- Experience of business continuity and disaster recovery
- Exposure to Cloud services
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.#LI-ZB-1