Platform Automation Engineer
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
- Engaging in improving the whole lifecycle of Python & Linux-based infrastructure automation services—from inception and design, through to engineering, deployment, and operations.
- Participating in regular stand ups, planning, grooming and retrospective meetings in order to identify goals, manage workload and help improve team relationships.
- Creating effective and sustainable automated solutions in collaboration with others.
- Ensuring that code development adheres to Ocado SDLC guidelines.
- Maintain products once they are live by measuring and reporting availability, performance and overall system health against SLOs.
What does the team do?
The Automation team’s primary objective is to improve & automate processes currently undertaken manually within Ocean’s Infrastructure areas. You will work as part of a small expert development team focused on infrastructure. You will be a true team player with a “can do” attitude, and exhibit an authentic customer service mindset. Your enthusiasm to work both autonomously and collaboratively, as well as your passion for & knowledge about automation & DevOps principles, will augment the team’s capacity to design & create software deliverables of the highest standard.
You will be responsible for operating & supporting the full lifecycle of existing infrastructure, as well as researching & implementing new software solutions with a demonstrable return on investment.
What we are looking for:
- Excellent interpersonal skills (both written & verbal) and a desire to collaborate.
- Strong problem solving skills using methodical, logical & creative approaches.
- A comprehensive understanding of Python & Agile development (Django & REST APIs is a bonus).
- Experience with the full Software Development Life Cycle
- Proven competency in designing, implementing & optimising systems.
- Experience using Ansible or similar automated provisioning mechanisms.
- A passion for developing robust, reusable, elegant object-oriented code & libraries.
- Working knowledge of Unix / Linux systems & scripting.
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Familiarity with git, GitHub and Gitlab.
- Experience with Docker.
- An understanding of DevOps principles and Continuous Integration.
- Experience in estimating effort to deliver features, and in cost-benefit analysis.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.