Engineering Manager, Search API & Infrastructure
Washington DC / San Francisco CA / Remote - US
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data and services, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What we do
The Search API and Infrastructure team at Mapbox owns scaling the Search APIs, Data Stores and building new platform services that other Search teams at Mapbox can leverage to increase their feature development velocity. We make it possible for Search services such as Address Search, Point-of-interest search and Places search to easily consume APIs and infrastructure that power billions of search requests from thousands of customers and hundreds of millions of end-users every month.
We work on developing the Search platform built on a foundation of Elasticsearch and AWS, and powers the development of high performance and low latency search algorithms in Search services.
All in all, this team works on an exciting mix of platform engineering, APIs for search and information retrieval algorithms, and problems in-between in order to support Search at a high-scale.
What you’ll do
As a Engineering Manager on the Search API & Infra team, you’ll be responsible for, and expected to:
- Work collaboratively with other engineering leaders at Mapbox to evolve and communicate Mapbox’s Search strategy
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and planning
- Establish, track, and iterate on operational metrics to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfy customer requirements.
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, inclusion and data-driven decisions on the team
- Grow and Expand the team to handle Search Relevance at global scale
What we believe are important traits for this role
- 2+ years of experience managing teams of 6+ engineers
- 4+ years of experience in Search/information retrieval/natural language processing (nlp)
- Experience with search engines such as ElasticSearch, Solr, Lucene
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- You thrive in a fast moving company and have ability to weigh conflicting constraints and make the appropriate tradeoffs
- Commitment to recruiting and retaining a diverse engineering team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and Digital Infrastructure career opportunities
- Open Cloud Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability jobs
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Security Engineer jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer DevOps (remote) jobs
- Open Junior DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Platform Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Architect jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Devops Engineer jobs
- Open Database Engineer jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs