Senior Site Reliability Engineer - Web Platform
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 6 million recipes have been created by people in more than 70 countries. How we got started.
Cookpad is dedicated to shaping the future of home cooking and food as a pillar for a sustainable future. Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. We believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier and connects us with our friends and family. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives in an environment that is more sustainable. That’s how we want to impact the world.
Take a look at this article to learn more about Cookpad and our Medium blog to see what it is like to work at Cookpad. You can also find our engineering blog at sourcediving.com to read about some of the interesting engineering challenges we work on.
Cookpad is one of Japan's best known tech companies, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and was already highly successful before launching globally in 2013. With strong backing we have spent the last few years building the global platform and we are now in our commercialisation phase of the business.
As a Cookpad Engineer, you will join a very high performing global team to help deliver our product to end users throughout the world.
What will your typical week look like?
SRE engineers collaborate in a remote-first fashion with multiple teams across Cookpad to build great platforms for running our services. You will play a role in these and other initiatives, enabling reliability and fast delivery across our stack. A typical week might include any of the following:
- Collaborating closely with other Cookpad teams to improve the performance and reliability of our services.
- Providing platforms and tools that enable developers to ship to production easily and reliably.
- Mitigate incidents as part of our blameless post mortem culture and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again.
- Provide and receive feedback on code reviews.
- Receive training and mentoring that will give you the required tools to join an on-call rotation to handle incidents and maintain our service SLOs.
- Be a part of a culture of candid, continuous feedback that helps everyone at Cookpad to grow and enables them to do their best work.
Is this role for you?
This role could be based on site in Bristol (we provide relocation and visa sponsorship), or alternatively can be remote.
This is a senior level role and our expectations include the following skills and traits:
- Automation in one or more modern programming languages.
- Experience in containerization and deploying applications to Kubernetes, ECS or other container schedulers.
- Familiar with at least one Cloud environment, for example, AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Comfortable managing software in a Linux based environment.
- A collaborative and communicative person that enjoys solving problems in an open and iterative manner.
Technologies we use
As a SRE Engineer at Cookpad you will have a lot of opportunities to innovate and explore new technologies. We are using exciting and state-of-the-art technologies such as Kubernetes, Go and Kafka, that will enable you to further develop your technical skills and have a great time as well!
- Infrastructure-as-Code: Terraform, Jsonnet and Itamae (our own lightweight Chef).
- Cloud provider: AWS.
- Container schedulers: Kubernetes and AWS ECS.
- CI/CD: Flux, AWS CodeBuild, Github Actions and Jenkins
- Observability: Grafana, Prometheus, Thanos, Alertmanager, Elasticsearch and Amazon CloudWatch.
- Data stores: MySQL, Redis, Memcached and DynamoDB.
- Programming languages: Go and Ruby for scripting and building tools.
Our team values
- Collaboration: we work together across the board and are enablers for reliability.
- Excellence: we pursue ideal system design and continuous improvement of ourselves and our systems.
- Autonomy: we trust each other to make responsible decisions and to own those decisions.
- Iteration: we are pragmatic and value shipping something that is working now over something that could be working better tomorrow.
- Openness: we keep all sorts of conversations open and empower everyone to change how we work.
The above description of the role is not finite, please apply even if you don’t think you fit all the requirements. We are looking for people who show promise, are eager to learn and grow and connect with our mission.
Why join Cookpad?
People join Cookpad to be part of something bigger - to make a difference.
We offer competitive salaries and all the benefits you’d expect, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution, private medical insurance + cycle to work, and workplace nursery schemes.
We started working from home in the very early stage of the pandemic to keep our members safe. Along with relaxed restrictions, our office is operated with limited capacity at the moment but expecting to recover. Before the pandemic, we did a few things you might not expect. From breakfast to team lunches, from pilates to cooking lessons, from time off for voluntary work to company socials.
We believe that the space we work in is important. We’ve created beautiful, innovative workspaces that reflect our culture and values, and are confident that we will once again have a very vibrant work environment when we return to some level of normality.
What happens next?
We’re building a global company with a global team that’s full of world-class talent. Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit.
Our engineering interview process consists of the following stages
- Chat with someone from our HR Team to help us get to know you better.
- Pairing technical test - a pairing exercise with members of the SRE team.
- Technical Questions interview - running through some technical questions with members of the SRE team.
- Architecture and System Design - discussion about architecture with members of the SRE team.
- Interview with the Managing Director and/or Head of Engineering.
We aim to run through these stages quickly and typically you can expect a timeframe of between 2 and 3 weeks to complete the process.
Please apply using the link below. As well as your CV, we’d like to hear why you’re interested in the role and how your skills and experience will help you contribute to the team.
We will let you know if we’d like to talk with you; during Covid most interviews are via video link.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
When applying for a job with Cookpad, we will collect personal data about you. We use that personal data for recruitment and hiring related activities, including analysis of those activities. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of the General EU Data Protection Regulation and UK GDPR as necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and Digital Infrastructure career opportunities
- Open Database Administrator jobs
- Open Cloud Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure jobs
- Open Junior DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer DevOps (remote) jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Platform Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist jobs
- Open Database Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Database Engineer jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs