Sr. Director Engineering, Infrastructure
Brooklyn, NY (Rent the Runway HQ)
Rent the RunwayRent the Runway is the premier subscription fashion service that powers people to rent designer styles for work, weekends and events. Membership trials from $69.
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Job:
Our business is growing and there is no shortage of interesting things going on. Behind the scenes at Rent the Runway, we not only have the user-facing website that is the public face of our company, but everything from the platform and reservation systems that power it, to a huge reverse logistics operation that operates from multiple fulfillment centers across the country. With over 8 million users, our own physical inventory in hand, thousands of user interactions every day, and much more, our engineering team is the backbone of every single scaling challenge you can think of - and some you might not.
You will be responsible for leading the long term strategic direction for ensuring the long term system health of our core technical platforms. You'll manage some of our most accomplished engineers and grow the team as your group makes continuous improvement on key metrics of reliability, scalability, maintainability, performance, and availability. Our SRE team spends time developing and automating solutions that reduce operational tasks, lead to increased deliverable quality, and increase the time we spend engineering our applications. We are growing fast and looking for that leader who has been there and can provide guidance and mentorship to the team and company as we continue to evolve our technical platforms.
What You’ll Do:
- Mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders.
- Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for the SRE Org.
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams, and ensure that we're building the right systems and keeping the quality high.
- You can provide a strong technical and architectural vision for platforms, systems and infrastructure
- Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for the Platform Engineering organization, particularly in the areas of evolving our frameworks and platform automation.
- Provide input into software lifecycle, improvement and standardization strategies
- Develop internal SOPs, processes, documentation, and training to ensure that team members have the needed skills and tools to support the production environments and deliver on project commitments
- Drive vendors to achieve company expectations in regards to performance, reliability and other areas as appropriate
- Work to automate management tasks, streamline processes, and improve reliability, uptime, efficiency, consistency, and security throughout the software and infrastructure
- Take part of and continuously iterate on a 24x7 on-call process
- Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of management experience leading engineering teams.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience.
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- Experience leading a high-performance team of technical resources to achieve consistent and measurable results
- Proven ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrable track record dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a fast-paced environment
- We have a MicroService architecture on Java, so having Java experience is a big plus.
- Experience with current DevOps toolchains for infrastructure deployment, software build/test/deploy, and systems/application monitoring/logging such as Jenkins, Ansible, Maven, SALT, Puppet, ELK, Splunk, New Relic, Graphite, etc.
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Experience moving organization to cloud hosting provider - AWS, GCP
- Production experience running containers and scheduler - Docker, Kubernetes, ECS/EKS
- Experience leading teams and building technology and products in a rapidly growing company and knowledge of how to navigate the growing pains of that rapid growth
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and Digital Infrastructure career opportunities
- Open Cloud Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Database Administrator jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure jobs
- Open Junior DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer DevOps (remote) jobs
- Open Staff Platform Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Architect jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub jobs
- Open Cloud Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs