Staff Database Engineer
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission to make money without borders the new normal.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And we’re looking for a Senior Database Engineer to join our London based team.
The team you’ll be working with: Data Engineering team
For our customers, using TransferWise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
The Database Engineering team is responsible for the deployment, configuration, management and collaborative operation of databases together with the product teams. It is responsible for the stability, performance, and improvement of the database architecture and support of users. They work closely with all product teams as a central Database Engineering consulting team working as facilitators, helping them to scale and optimise the use of their database backends, research, test, choose and implement new database technologies, or features.
What does it take?
- You’ll be a part of our platform team building our database infrastructure in the cloud across a constellation of microservices.
- You’ll create tooling to automate database infrastructure deployment in any environment.
- As part of the Data Engineering you are responsible for backups, recovery, replication and alerting/monitoring of database infrastructure that powers the Wise products.
- You’ll partner with our product teams to make datastore decisions in order to scale TransferWise, sitting on the pulsing vein of daily product evolution. Our flat organisational structure doesn't care about titles and hierarchy.
- You have the ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems.
- You’re production environment oriented.
We recognise that skills can be acquired but ideally you have three or more of the following:
- Extensive experience in PostgreSQL is essential, including:
- Experience in HA with automatic failover ideally using Patroni
- Experience in debugging and database performance optimisation
- Exposure to MongoDB (or any other NoSQL technologies) is essential
- Experience working with cloud, preferably AWS, particularly with EC2 and RDS (exposure to Aurora and other AWS managed services is a plus)
- Experience managing several hundred databases in a 24/7 mission critical environment
- Experience in scaling out databases
- Experience in automation tools, preferably Terraform and Ansible
Nice to Have:
- Experience with globally distributed systems
- Experience with MySQL (especially MariaDB 10.x)
- Experience in scripting languages preferably Python and Bash
- Experience in clustering and sharding
- Experience in Caching or Search technologies
- Understanding of Scrum and Agile development
What does success look like?
- You’ll be building and maintaining the infrastructure and foundation of the technical parts of TransferWise
- You’ll ensure we have our services up and running so product teams can work efficiently
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll also have found your place in our mission and you understand our values and how they can guide you doing your best work
- You help TransferWise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform.
What you get back:
- You’ll be able to choose your own path to success. You’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen.
- You’ll be offered the flexibility to decide on how and where you work. We understand everyone needs a little something different, so we’ll do our best to make it happen.
- You’ll get to inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude.
- You can Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore - post Covid-19.
- A fun work environment with social activities and events.
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work - a practical guide
- 💻 Scaling our Infrastructure; how we make it work
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
...or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and Digital Infrastructure career opportunities
- Open Database Administrator jobs
- Open Cloud Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure jobs
- Open Junior DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer DevOps (remote) jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Platform Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist jobs
- Open Database Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Database Engineer jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs