Data Platform Engineer
20 Farringdon Rd, London EC1M 3HE
DepopDesigner. Preloved. Vintage. Streetwear. Sneakers. Whatever your style. Find it on Depop.
Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
We operate on three values:
- Circularity - We’re taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people’s relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression - We’re a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity - We’re building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
Data is a tight-knit, cross-functional team started in mid-2020 that has grown substantially over the past year to include over twenty individuals. With members in data science, engineering, stakeholder engagement and project management, the team is very active across both business and engineering domains supporting a wide range of marketing and core strategic initiatives.
Day-to-day the team works in a modified Kanban system that operates in a continuous delivery cycle.
Individuals in the team freely communicate across technical and role boundaries to share knowledge and achieve consensus on implementation plans and longer term technical strategies. Data takes pride in writing solid documentation, sharing knowledge with others and being an active part of Depop's engineering culture, following the mantra of 'We all succeed better together'.
- Growing your team’s sense of ownership of building a scalable, self-serve, reliable and compliant data platform; ensuring they are engaged to bring ideas and continuously strive for a better platform
- Own e2e the definition, creation and support of the technical patterns of data platform users - including but not limited to: ingestion, event streaming, data transformations, big data infrastructure, & ops excellence - for real-time and batch.
- Hold high standards for operational excellence; from running their own services to monitoring, maintenance and reacting to production issues.
- Ensuring timely delivery of your projects, which will ultimately have a tangible impact on Depop’s success.
- Adding to a strong engineering culture, orientated on technical innovation, and professional development.
- Helping your team design systems that can ensure continued improvements to deployments speed of Data Engineers, Data Scientists & Analysts (a key outcome for 2022)
- Follow our engineering practices, by leading from the front.
- Successful end-to-end delivery of your team’s projects; from scoping and translating business requirements into plans, to design, implementation and maintenance, whilst coordinating with other teams (and engineers).
- A strong sense of ownership, autonomy and a highly organised nature.
- Experience building high-traffic systems servicing 10,000s of concurrent users
- Experience working in a B2C product-based technical environment
- You enjoy learning new things and keeping on top of the latest developments and technologies in Event-driven Architectures.
- Strong knowledge of systems design, within a modern cloud-based environment (AWS, GCP)
- You have experience with streaming and/or batch-based systems supporting data integrations to third-party platforms (e.g. using Kafka, Airflow, RMQ, etc.)
- Experience with core concepts of data engineering
- Experience with building out data pipelines using best in class tools such as KStreams, KSQL, Databricks, EMR, and Spark
- Experience working on large scale distributed systems design and operation
- Worked with infrastructure as code and deployment pipelines, preferably with Terraform
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages (e.g. Java, Scala, Python)
- Reinforce the ‘you build it, you own it’ mentality to your teams working methodology, ultimately, owning the underlying infrastructure
- Demonstrable experience is delivering set requirements, at pace & with adequate quality as to not introduce undesirable levels of technical debt.
- Experience in translating ideas/requirements into consumable and interpretable information for engineers to build products.
- Feel comfortable expressing one’s opinion whilst being open-minded to listen to your peer’s point of view.
- Exemplary communication skills, especially in dealing with multiple stakeholders
- Learn and Grow: We want to give our people the opportunity to learn. We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Wellbeing: We care about our employees' wellbeing. We offer healthcare, an EAP (Employee Assistance Programme), a cycle to work scheme, weekly yoga sessions, a discounted gym membership and eye-care vouchers.
- Mental Health: Our employees' mental health is a top priority. We offer Headspace access and subsidised coaching and counselling appointments. We also have trained mental health first aiders available.
- Work/Life Balance: We offer a hybrid working model to provide a healthy work/life balance for our employees. We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism to allow you the opportunity to make a difference and we offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
- Family Life: We offer flexible working, generous maternity/paternity and parental leave policies, which include adoption and paid time off for fertility treatments. We also offer life insurance, a pension scheme and parent and carer support.
- Office Life: We provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee in our offices. All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Fun: We love to hang out with each other at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties to celebrate our successes. We also host internal employee socials, such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more...we’ve taken this virtual for now!
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Depop recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce which reflects the wider population and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Under the Equality Act (2010), Depop must demonstrate that their recruitment processes are fair and that we are not discriminating against or disadvantaging anyone because of their age, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We need to ask applicants some questions to make sure that no one is being unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
We collect this information only for anonymised monitoring purposes to help the organisation look at the profile of individuals who apply, are shortlisted for and appointed to each vacancy. In this way, we can check that we are complying with the Equality Act (2010).
Under the Equality Act 2010 the definition of disability is if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Further information regarding the definition of disability can be found at: www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
Reasonable adjustments will be made available should you be invited to interview.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at email@example.com.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and Digital Infrastructure career opportunities
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Cloud Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer DevOps (remote) jobs
- Open Staff Platform Engineer jobs
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Junior DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Architect jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) jobs
- Open Devops Engineer jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Raleigh Hub jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open DNS-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs