Senior Site Reliability Engineer
We're looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our platform team in Budapest. We are working hard to ensure our engineering teams are empowered with the capabilities and knowledge to build products that delight our customers. To support this vision we are looking for exceptional Site Reliability Engineers to be embedded with product teams to both contribute to their host teams roadmap as well as lead the charge on reliability focused initiatives across engineering. In this role you will be expected to be comfortable moving between (and contributing to the work of) platform teams and product teams with a focus on reliability, efficiency, scalability and performance. This role is ideal for an engineer who wants to have an impact on the product roadmap but is also passionate about non functional product excellence.
TransferWise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- Help us take TransferWise to the next level as we scale to impact 100’s of millions more customers. You’ll hide away all complexities under the hood of our product and build seamless experiences for our customers
- Working on the core flow of TransferWise, you’ll guide our customers from their first experience on our landing page to completing a transfer and making sure they are informed every step of the way
- Create clear and helpful interfaces, whilst maintaining consistency, maintainability, performance and an understanding of what problems our customers might encounter along the way
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across TransferWise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel (when things get back to a new normal) to work with our teams in London and Budapest as well as meet various partners and organizations when needed
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
What does it take?
- The ability to convince and get your voice heard - you’re comfortable making a case for what you want to do
- Experience being a self starter and working autonomously
- The mindset to solve problems from scratch
- Make appropriate tradeoffs when it comes to design and delivery, iterate where possible - regular feedback is part of our culture
Is that you?
- You have experience with building out scalable and automated Cloud platforms. Preferably on AWS
- You have worked on and with modern distributed highly available containerised microservice architectures
- Posses strong Java application knowledge, with proven domain-driven design thinking
- You have the right networking knowledge of fundamentals in either cloud or on-prem deployments: DNS, network, routing, L3/L7 protocols etc.
- Worked with external partners on connectivity, requirements and design that scale and delivered on time
- And have good knowledge of relational (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases
- Don’t want to be woken up in the middle of the night
- Would be able to define and create standard operating procedures that are compliant and auditable
- Have worked on isolation of environments and work with various engineering teams to figure out how to best suit their needs
- Strong foundations in service observability and service design.
- Sees failover and DR events as something that needs to happen with regularity and should be seamless
- Strong commitment to doing things in a sustainable and secure way.
- Experience of a similar role either in a centralized or embedded SRE team where they are expected to be highly autonomous.
What is nice to have
- Experience in infrastructure automation tools (Terraform/ Cloudformation/ Ansible/ Puppet/ Chef)
- Experience of Automation of Linux and Windows application installation and deployment.
- Experience in scaling and making tradeoffs between managed Cloud services vs running own
- Containerisation technology and various orchestration platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes etc
- Have ran performance and load tests at scale, and able to forecast capacity for the future
What you get back:
- The autonomy to solve problems your way
- The freedom to have real impact
- Loads of development opportunities
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
And more… Check out our offer here.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work - a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- How our Engineers build new features
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.