Reliability Engineer, EMEA Payments
About the job
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. Stripe’s backend engineers work on the business logic for all of that.
The EMEA Payments team is working towards a future in which any business across the world can offer the full range of payment methods. The team builds, integrates and runs EMEA payment methods processing Billions of Euros annually. The team resolves complexities across a fragmented market by surfacing one simple way to accept these payments. Engineers on the team work to expand the reach of Stripe’s global payments network, design and implement novel payment capabilities, and deliver best-in-class reliability and performance.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building and operating highly scalable and reliable products and systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. You’ll get to work with other engineers to deliver impactful projects that span various parts of the system.
- Lead impactful engineering projects to improve the scalability, reliability and performance of Stripe’s payment methods across the board.
- Lead incident response, review and remediation in a way that is blameless, sustainable and data-driven.
- Take an engineering-first approach to operating Stripe’s payment methods, by automating operational tasks and proactively identifying and addressing risks.
- Improve how we approach designing and building reliable systems by running table top scenarios, operational readiness reviews and consulting on reliability best practices.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including dependency engineering teams, product, design, infrastructure, and operations.
You May Be Fit For This Role If You
- Have a passion for reliable and performant systems, and care deeply about the end-user experience.
- Have a strong understanding of reliability practices, distributed systems, and cloud native architectures and/or have experience working as an SRE for critical systems.
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby and Java, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
You Might Work On
- Building highly-available, scalable systems on top of which multiple teams can build novel payment methods with ease.
- Launching new payment methods, ensuring we meet our high standards for reliability and performance.
- Migrating existing systems to new versions of our payments stack, or adopting new platform capabilities, without risking downtime or instability.
- Improving how we operate our services by fine-tuning monitoring systems and automating responses to non-exceptional service conditions.
- Defining, measuring and managing our end-to-end-availability in terms of SLIs/SLOs and error budgets.
- Enabling better observability and reliability for a variety of third-party integrations.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs