Wimbledon, England, United Kingdom
At Deskpro, we make helpdesk software and we have customers of all shapes and sizes from across the globe, including Vodafone, Microsoft, NHS, and Panasonic. Deskpro is a large product with a large variety of features and modules, from email, chat, and voice, to blog posts, knowledgebase, and guides, and everything in between. There's always something new to build.
Deskpro has a two different deployment models that present unique challenges for our DevOps engineers. We run Deskpro in the Cloud as a SaaS product running on AWS, but we also ship Deskpro to customers to run on-premise using a custom deployment product built atop Consul and Nomad. (E.g. this is similar to Github vs Github Enterprise that can be run on custom hardware.)
Your job will encompass multiple parts of the business, everything from CI/CD setups and supporting developers, to maintaining and improving our SaaS platform, to supporting customers on their on-premise deployments. There is a variety to this role that'll make certain you'll never get bored and your skills will always be improving.
Here are some real-life examples of tasks you'll help with:
- Working with developers to improve our CI setup, such as improving performance of builds.
- Creating CD workflows so we can deploy updates quickly in a controlled and stable way.
- Improving our AWS infrastructure. We've got lots of ideas to improve our security and scalability, improve logging and visibility, performance, etc.
- Setting up infrastructure for new sites and services as they become necessary.
- Working on our on-premise deployment product built on Consul/Nomad. This is a custom tool that on-premise customers use to manage their deployments of Deskpro. This also requires general knowledge of Linux, networking, and containers.
- Experience using tools like Docker and orchestration tools such as Nomad or K8S. We expect you'll have to learn some of our stack, but you will need a foundation to build on.
- Strong experience with AWS and running containers in AWS using ECS and Fargate.
- Experience working with Terraform or a similar IaC tool.
- Experience creating Git-oriented CI/CD workflow.
- Experience with a scripting language. We use PHP and NodeJS - experience with those specifically would be a bonus.
- Experience operating Linux-based servers (i.e. non-AWS environments) so you can help with on-premise deployments.
- Experience with HashiCorp products Consul and Nomad is a bonus. This is the stack that our on-premise deployment product is built on.
- Experience with MySQL (and ideally Aurora on AWS) is a bonus. Deskpro uses MySQL very heavily.
You are a good fit for the role if...
- You have an earnest interest in delivering a great product to customers!
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. We are big believers in "writing stuff up", everything from spec's to dev docs to RFC's. You need to be able to know your audience and communicate clearly.
- You enjoy solving problems yourself and like working in a "get stuff done" environment. We're a small team and we all generally just get on with things in a fairly autonomous manner. You won't be micro-managed.
- You should be a fast learner. We often venture into unknown territory so you should be a Google-fu master and have experience-driven intuition.
- You should be excited to dive deep into new technology. We're always happy to try new things if it'll help us ship better services.
- You should have opinions on "the right way" to do things.
- You work well with others and enjoy sharing your knowledge and leading by example.
- Competitive Salary + Share Options
- Varied work. Both in terms of what product features you will be working on, but you'll also have the opportunity to immerse yourself in other aspects of the company such as product planning, customer support, etc.
- A mixture of autonomy over your own work and real responsibilities to the team and business.
- Your choice of equipment (most of our devs like Macbook's with two 4k monitors).
- We encourage self-improvement: Company-sponsored server/hosting for your side projects; books; conferences; courses. Just ask!
- A chance to be truly invested in your work and the company with a generous share options scheme.
- 2 minute walk from shops, restaurants, pubs and gyms.
- Lovely new offices, BBQs in the summer, Monday team breakfasts and Friday lunches. Unlimited coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks with beers for Friday afternoon.
- BUPA Private Healthcare & Cash Scheme, Pension Scheme, Bike Storage, Season ticket loans, Reduced gym membership.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs