Mountain View, CA
Title: Cloud Architect
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bixby is a next-generation virtual personal assistant, brought to you by the team that created Siri. Bixby provides a truly open platform that lets any developer extend its knowledge and capabilities. It operates at a scale that few companies can match. We seek a high energy engineer with a tactical trifecta of skills who will enjoy the challenges and rewards of making Bixby a household name. That’s where you come in. You are someone who enjoys designing and writing dev tools and infra as code, be it imperative or declarative. You love to build highly optimized ops systems that empower our product teams to operate at peak velocity. You take a defense-in-depth approach to your craft, think about different attack vectors throughout your process, and don’t just tack security on at the end. Finally, you’re great at grokking complex situations, explaining trade-offs, and communicating your ideas to a diverse global team.
- We have a globally unique AI platform with a build and deployment process that goes way beyond what you’ll encounter at most organizations.
- Lead the design and development of innovative and security cloud and DevOps solutions using EC2, ECS, Kubernetes, and others. To be effective at this, you need a strong working knowledge of Docker orchestration technology, and the kernel level constructs that make containers what they are, including union file systems. We’d like you to have opinions on single vs. multi-process containers, shared memory, and sidecars.
- You will work with the product and other engineering teams to continuously improve observability, monitoring, and incident response. We’re pretty great at avoiding alert fatigue, and we’d like you to help us keep it that way.
- Join the fight to eliminate toil. This goes beyond automating all the things! Sure, if a machine could accomplish the task as well as an engineer, automate it. But occasionally you’ll find necessary tasks with no enduring value, and we want you to help us build high leverage systems that design that type of work away. In general, we believe that if a human operator has to touch our systems, we have a bug.
- Actively integrate security into the stack at all levels. Work with our security researchers, product engineers, and other teams to build a hardened platform that resists attack from internal and external vectors.
- Be an effective responder during production incidents. Use a variety of observability signals to respond to production issues that may arise, and then help us engineer ways to avoid that problem in the future.
- Significant past experience from a similar role or software engineering and cloud-based ops, such as DevOps, SRE, or Operations Engineer roles.
- Proven experience with architecture and implementation in a public cloud environment like Azure, AWS, GCP.
- Good understanding of the SDLC ranging from architectural reviews, technical design ,deep dives, implementation, testing, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- You maintain a high bar for quality of code. You are disciplined about avoiding awkward workarounds, and know the value of engineering discipline. Experience with security and networking principles and design patterns.
- We regularly interface with globally distributed teams, therefore excellent verbal and written communication skills are key for this role. You may be asked to show us you can write great docs. You know when to leverage off-the-shelf tools, and when we need something custom.
- Demonstrated experience with infrastructure-as-code tools. You can discuss at length about tools like Boto3 vs. Terraform vs. Pulumi. You should understand their tradeoffs, pitfalls, and ideally be able to talk about some battle scars from using them.You’ve used many of the DevOps staple technologies such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Datado, Sumo Logic. You’ve used persistence layer tools like Postgres, MySQL, Elastic Search, Redis,Cassandra, etc.
- Bonus if you have a working knowledge of GitOps techniques and tools.
- Bonus for experience with service mesh and software defined networks such as Istio
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs