Systems Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Edge
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the role
We are an engineering team focused on building reliable, scalable, and secure platforms that support all our products. Our SRE team monitors our networks 24 hours a day in a “follow the sun” approach with presence in Singapore, London, Austin, and San Francisco.
In this role, we will work together building tools to constantly improve the reliability, availability, and performance of our network. You will also nurture a passion for automation while we:
- Work on highly distributed and scalable systems
- Participate in the constant cycle of knowledge sharing, coaching, and mentoring
- Manage and develop some of the largest systems in the world
- Research and introduce cutting-edge technologies
- Contribute to open-source projects
You are an SRE who enjoys observability, reliability, and automation looking to be part of a small, empathetic, and high-performing team to continue scaling Cloudflare’s high-growth network and support our growth.
You are curious about how the Internet fundamentally works, with a strong knowledge of DNS, Linux, TLS, and Internet Protocol, along with a strong passion for software development.
The ideal candidate is a team player with a bias for action.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent communication in English
- Proficiency in distributed Linux/Unix environments
- Proficiency in high-level programming in Python, Go, or similar
- Proficiency in configuration management (e.g., Saltstack, Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Proficiency in observability (e.g., Graphite, or Prometheus)
- Proficiency in networking protocols Layer 3-7 of the OSI model
- Experience in performance analysis, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Experience in SQL databases (e.g., Postgres, MySQL)
- Experience in load balancing and reverse proxies (e.g., Nginx, Varnish, HAproxy)
- Familiarity with Key/Value stores (e.g., Redis, KyotoTycoon, Cassandra, LevelDB)
- Familiarity with Internetworking and BGP
We’d be delighted to hire someone who has:
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD)
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 service environment
- Experience with high-bandwidth transit Internetworking and routing
- Passion for tooling and automation
We prefer to hire very experienced candidates; however raw skill trumps experience and we welcome strong junior candidates.
Term of employment - Indefinite
Probation period - 6 months
Place of employment - 3-1-6 Motoazabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 106-0046
Working hours - 9am to 6pm
Rest period - Noon to 1pm
Holidays - Saturday, Sunday and National Holidays
Overtime - Overtime work may be required
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
220.127.116.11: We released 18.104.22.168 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs