Cloud SRE - Site Reliability Engineer (Tooling)
Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
Thanks to our ongoing expansion we have the opportunity to grow our Site Reliability Cloud Tooling team. We're a part of the Elastic Cloud Engineering team with a focus on the development of code for administration and automation of the Elastic Cloud SaaS. We are the first line of consumers for Elastic's products and our experience helps influence the direction of the stack. While most organizations may have a single or a handful of Elastic Stack deployments, here you’ll be part of a Cloud team responsible for ensuring the thousands of Elasticsearch clusters we manage are providing a stable and reliable service. We’re looking for people who are just as passionate about troubleshooting issues with distributed systems as they are to automate, code and collaborate to solve problems.
What you will be doing:
In this role you will:
- Participate in SRE software engineering, writing code for the continuing reduction of human intervention in operational tasks and automation of processes.
- Manage Cloud provider infrastructure, system deployments and product release operations.
- Monitor the Elastic Cloud platform and Cloud infrastructure, responding to incidents, correcting and improving systems to prevent incidents and planning capacity.
- You will be asked to assist in automating and implementing secrets management.
- Be involved in resolving Elastic Cloud customer support issues.
- Participate in a weekly on-call rotation, using a follow-the-sun model.
What you bring along:
- You are either a Software Engineer with real interest, and ideally some experience in Linux systems, networking, monitoring and automation; or an experienced sysadmin or systems engineer with professional skills in Linux, preferably on distributed systems at scale, and a demonstrable interest and experience in using software engineering to solve operational problems.
- You are comfortable writing software to automate API-driven tasks at scale. Cloud Tooling engineers primarily use Go. Java and Scala are also key languages in the Elastic Cloud product.
- You have experience automating the build and deployment of software products, and understand the related challenges in distributed systems.
- You have experience using a Public Cloud: AWS, GCP, Azure, Softlayer or OpenStack.
- Experience in software development as part of an engineering team.
- Linux system administration, ideally in a Cloud environment.
- Experience working remotely with a fully distributed team, with the communication and adaptability it requires.
- Experience in Cloud secrets management preferred.
- Experience mentoring and helping folks grow their abilities to use/contribute to the tooling you help build.
- Ability to explain technical concepts to multiple audiences.
You don't need to have all of these items, but these represent the types of work you will do at Elastic Cloud.
- Significant experience with building public cloud agnostic cloud software.
- Experience with Hashicorp Vault or other large-scale enterprise secrets management tooling.
- Experience with Docker and knowledge of its ecosystem.
- Experience with Kubernetes and knowledge of its ecosystem.
- Experience optimizing existing deployment workflows.
- Track record of implementing cultural change.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs