Engineering Director (Group Infrastructure)
Takealot Group is looking for a seasoned Engineering Director: Group Infrastructure to join the Group’s senior technical leadership team in Cape Town.
This role will oversee the engineering teams responsible for the maintenance and ongoing development of Takealot Group’s internal infrastructure and IT Support. This person is ultimately responsible for the development, maintenance and support of systems and infrastructure used internally, and IT Management and support. The role will be responsible for driving the division’s technical strategy to both innovate, and manage risks spanning efficiency, scalability, security, performance, and uptime.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us!
Think you’ve been challenged before? Think again!
- Scale: Over 2.5 million happy shoppers shop online on takealot.com. Show them what you can do.
- Learn: We work with the best of the best, and then some. Code alongside industry leaders and upskill in record time.
- Grow: Expand your career in the fast-growing Takealot Group: takealot.com, Superbalist.com and Mr D Food. We like to promote from within: Here’s your chance.
Who’s who in the tech space
This position reports to the Takealot Group CPTO.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
You are a technology leader who thrives in a vibrant, innovative and collaborative environment, who has the passion and desire to remain hands-on in a fast-paced, dynamic space. You provide leadership and direction for teams across functional areas, also developing and implementing the strategy for these functional area/s. The Engineering Director, in conjunction with the CPTO, is responsible for developing and sustaining a healthy engineering organization, ensuring guidance on strategic and tactical technology choices and ensuring consistent delivery of value to both internal and external customers. You are customer-centric, a self-starter and enjoy working in an environment that requires strong technical ability, good business judgment, and great communication skills.
- Enable and empower the engineering managers and/or senior engineering resources in your division to drive technical innovation, vision and strategy
- Lead by example: Follow best practices, promote process, foster respectful relationships with your peers and reports
- Define hiring objectives to meet business goals and support recruitment efforts through following and improvement of recruitment tools and processes
- Build and retain multiple high caliber engineering teams in support of your technology and product domain
- Adapt team structures to support organizational needs
- Ensure a culture of safety, collaboration, trust, and respect within your division and across the organization
- Help your division's teams achieve their goals by removing roadblocks and interruptions
- Develop and monitor Key Performance Indicators for your division
- Identify and resolve sources of friction and conflict across the organization
- Facilitate discussions and workshops to move teams forward
- Promote the achievements of others across the organization
- Ensure a consistent high quality of deliverables
- Build relationships through regular one on one conversations
- Maintain depth of oversight through skip-level one on one conversations
- Support career development of engineers and managers according to defined frameworks
- Ensure teams are suitably trained to perform all job functions
- Provide coaching, guidance, and upskilling to team members
- Manage individual performance through reviews and feedback
- Address underperformance through improvement programmes
- Administration of leave and other requests
- Onboarding for new team members
- Interview candidates for technical and cultural fit within the organization
- Stay up to date with industry trends and standards
- Present practical input for strategic technology decisions
- Support and give direction to innovation in your teams
- Maintain architectural oversight, building out a long term roadmap to address risks and opportunities in your teams
- Accountable for the scale, reliability, efficiency, performance, security, and quality of the systems owned by your teams
- Skill up on core technologies used within engineering
- Ensure technical best practices and directives are adhered to in the teams
- Relate business & technical objectives and requirements back to actionable work
- Lead and/or delegate the agile processes within the team (standups, grooming, sprint planning, etc)
- Lead projects, or delegate project leadership with oversight
- Accountable to meeting the team's project delivery expectations
Process & Operations
- Ensure teams adhere to existing engineering processes
- Develop new or evolve existing processes to improve efficiency, visibility or output for your teams.
- Drive a culture of operational excellence and ownership
- Ensure adherence to best practices around incident response and change management
- Manage risk actively, addressing needs around security, maintenance, scale, and reliability in your teams
- Monitor and maintain the budget for systems owned by your team as well as Group IT and physical infrastructure
- Monitor and maintain the budget for general team expenses (travel, social, etc)
- Ensure team's KPI's and operational health telemetry is up to date and visible
- Contribute to internal engineering related documentation
- Establish and/or maintain relationships with business partners and stakeholders
- Ensure your teams are aware of the North Star Metric and its Input Metrics that they are influencing with the projects they deliver
- Evangelize and reinforce adoption of engineering best practices across your division
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or Advanced Diplomas in IT, Engineering, or any related area of study.
- 5+ years in an engineering leadership role (ideally in organizations with cross-functional teams)
- 5+ years of software, infrastructure and/or platform engineering experience
- Experience managing strategic technology roadmaps with customer focus
- Experience with Operating Systems, Networking and Cloud Hosting
- Experience with Open Source Operating Systems and technologies
- Significant technical experience and a proven track record of architectural ownership and understanding
- Experience in architecting, distributed, high transactional and available systems
- Experience in supply chain and/or logistics would be advantageous, but not necessary
- Experience managing external providers (such as contractors, vendors, and suppliers)
The skills we need:
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding analysis and problem-solving abilities
- Collaborative team working skills and expertise to achieve business goals, build cohesiveness while valuing individual perspective and contributions
Let’s talk about life @ Takealot Group
- The power is in your hands: We offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs. Go on, be the master of your own destiny.
- No doors: We aren’t fans of stuffy offices or siloed work environments. See someone you like? High five, collab and make something great.
- Remote working: Love water cooler chats and working from home? Takealot.com offers a hybrid working model for the best of both worlds.
- Mentorship programme: We aren’t kidding when we say the people with the best people win. Now’s your chance to be one of the best, by learning from the best.
- Naspers Tech Community & Online Learning: Share ideas and grow with global industry leaders who are all just a Slack message away. Love to learn? Up-skill with free access to courses on MyAcademy, Udacity, Coursera and more.
- Good times: Get to know the other extraordinary minds at takealot.com during regular social events and out-of-office activities (think hikes, think mini golf, think good times).
- Staff discount. Millions of products across 28 departments. What more could you ask for?
- Birthday leave: Cake Day all the way. Enjoy your day off - you deserve it.
- Right tools, right job: Mac or Windows, two monitors or one. Whatever your preference, you’ll work on the latest tech, off the latest tech.
- Help when you need it most: Confidential counselling, legal support and financial guidance, for free, anytime, anywhere.
- Tech stack (for days): ReactJS, Python, Scala, Kotlin, Swift, Google Cloud, Kafka, Redis, Kubernetes and all things machine learning. If you build it, they will come.
- Free parking: No more 5km fun runs to your desk (unless you want to).
Like what you see?
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind. Apply today!!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Cloud Infrastructure Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Cloud Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open Staff Software Engineer (L4), Segment Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs