Sr. Software Engineer, Realtime Services, Core Infrastructure
Los Angeles, CA, USA (Remote Only)
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- During the week, our users spend over a billion minutes a day active in our product.
- At peak usage, a million messages a minute passed through Slack.
- Every day we see over 15 million simultaneously connected users
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
About our team
The Realtime Services Team is a small team making a huge impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that scale. We are ambitious, independent, and pragmatic. We build and maintain the messaging layer at Slack to ensure that all messages are routed to users as fast and as reliably as possibly. Our services are written in Java and hosted on AWS infrastructure. We build and deploy using Jenkins, and we provision infrastructure using Chef and Terraform. We are a globally distributed team with members in the Bay Area, Canada, and Tahoe, and we’ve been using Slack heavily to collaborate on our work even before it became THE thing to do.
We know we’ve done our jobs well when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship shiny, new, user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, reliable, secure and scalable.
If you were to join the team, here the types of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Design, build, ship and maintain the messaging infrastructure that is at the core of Slack
- Collaborate with peers across Engineering to triage bugs and troubleshoot complex production issues across the stack, especially with respect to performance or scale.
- Whiteboard a fix to a reliability problem — and then make it happen!
- Write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Possess strong Computer Science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, operating system, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Been building large scale systems professionally for 5+ years and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- Have experience building reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the trade-offs made when engineering a feature.
- Have experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment.
- Can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better.
- Write code that can be easily understood by others with an eye towards clarity and maintainability.
- Are a very strong communicator. You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with different audiences.
- Are curious how things work and when things break you are eager and able to help fix them.
- Hold lawful permanent residency within the US
Realtime Services Team is a diverse and inclusive team that is building the future of Slack’s infrastructure. We are happy to help you learn what you need to know; we encourage and support each other’s growth and it’s not expected that you would have expertise across all of these areas from the beginning.
Come join us!
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs