Sr. DevOps Engineer
Chicago, IL, USA
At Slack, we believe that our success is directly tied to the value our customers derive from our product. We demonstrate Slack's platform flexibility by designing and delivering the right experience for our customers, their teams and the individuals within it.
Technical Architects are responsible for engaging with our largest and most strategic customers to assess and design the technical rollout and launch plan for Slack. They are a key member of the Customer Success services team with a technical background and competencies in development, integration, solution architecture and security. They are also responsible for advising on integration implementations, including key production systems from GitHub, Jira, Workday, Google Apps, etc. In addition, technical architects also build and develop client applications or bots as part of professional services.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about building the foundational components and infrastructure of developing on Slack so that technical architects can invest more time and effort on our customers and their overall strategic vision.These frameworks and services enable Slack applications to achieve best in class reliability and scalability while making the delivery of new product features simple and efficient. A qualified candidate will share their passion for excellence and advocate a user-first approach to building high-quality software.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient applications / bots / systems that can scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build and deliver to our customers. We are ambitious, empathetic, independent, and pragmatic.
What you will be doing
- You’ll design, build and maintain the core infrastructure used by Slack Technical Architects to build production-ready applications or bots.
- Develop solutions encompassing technology, process and people for: Continuous Delivery.
- You’ll collaborate with peers to triage bugs and troubleshoot complex production application related issues across the Slack application stack, especially with respect to performance, reliability, and scale.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You’ll write, review, and provide feedback on technical design proposals.
- You’ll define SLA/SLOs for your services, manage code deployments, fixes and software updates, and automate our operational processes as needed.
- You’ll review code and get your code reviewed; mentor and be mentored by other engineers. Teamwork is what makes the dream work.
- Drive a quality-first approach to software development and delivery.
- You'll do the best work of your life, enjoy collaborating with your coworkers, and go home on time.
What you should have
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, operating system, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience working with two or more from the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
- 4+ years experience building large scale systems
- A strong dedication to code quality, automation and operational excellence: unit/integration tests, scripts, workflows.
- Curiosity about how things work and when things break you are eager and able to help fix them.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Cloud Security Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff Software Engineer (L4), Segment Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs