Managing Director, Cloud and Infrastructure Enablement
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Our bottom line is different.
40,000 people apply to ATB every year. That should tell you a little about how much people want to work here. Let us tell you a little about why. We foster a culture of purpose, performance and possibilities. We value process over perfection. We celebrate the wins, engage with intense curiosity, and bring our whole selves to work, every day.
We’re obsessed with our clients’ success and we believe—perhaps more intently than any other company— that you can’t have happy clients without happy employees. We know it starts with you. Do you have what it takes to start with us?
Job Number: REQ2448
Location: Anywhere in Alberta
Apply by: Friday September 10th, 2021
# Positions available: 1
Leader Name: Scott McDonald
Reporting to the Vice President of Technology Enablement, the primary focus of this position is to lead the teams that develop and sustain best-in-class foundational technologies in support of ATB team members to do their best work. This role is required to lead and collaborate with the respective Transformation teams to design, deliver, and support on the technology strategy and all underlying technologies both in cloud and on premise. As a strategic stakeholder, this role will lead the design, execution, and sustainment of foundational technology strategies that ensure effective day-to-day operation of services of the ATB Transformation and Technology Enablement plan.
You will find success based on your ability to manage and deliver in the following areas:
Service Delivery & Technology Enablement
- Working with ATB teams to define a prioritized set of business outcomes and application work to accomplish those outcomes within the limitations of capacity constraints, including resources and financial.
- Working with the ATB Risk & Integrity, ATB Information Security and ATB Internal Audit teams to ensure that the organization's applications are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
- Establish and deliver on key strategic objectives for the Cloud and Infrastructure Enablement team, with a focus on the following service areas, but are not limited to:
- Core Infrastructure On Premise - Network: Ensure the effective implementation and operation of core networking technologies, wired and wireless, to ensure team members can rely on the technology services they need to do their jobs. This includes working with the ATB Information Security team to maintain the most appropriate / highest level of security to protect ATB assets. This includes direct oversight of managed service partners (i.e. Telus Network Services).
- Core Infrastructure On Premise - Servers: Ensure the effective implementation and operation of core server technologies across the Windows, Linux and AIX stack, including service virtualization technologies. This includes direct oversight of managed service partners (i.e. IBM).
- Core Infrastructure On Premise - Database: Ensure the effective implementation and operation of core database technologies, including IBM DB2, Oracle and MS SQL Server - related to database administration, backup and recovery for core foundational services.
- Core Infrastructure On Premise - Storage: Ensure the effective implementation and operation of core storage technologies, including online storage but also backup, recovery and data archiving activities. This includes direct oversight of managed service partners (i.e. IBM).
- Core Infrastructure On Premise - Security: Working with the ATB Information and Cybersecurity team to ensure the effective security management of ATB data and assets. This includes the timely patching of underlying operating systems and third-party software.
- Core Infrastructure to Cloud: Ensure ATB is aggressively moving on premise workloads to the public cloud, including Infrastructure as a Services and Platform as a Service, with a focus to ensuring the effective management and monitoring while reducing costs.
- SAP Basis: Ensure the effective implementation and operation of core SAP core / Basis activities for reliable banking system operation. With a particular focus on enabling SAP in the Cloud and promoting future flexibility with non production systems for testing / developing.
Strategy & Management
- Be a champion and catalyst, working with other Technology Enablement & Transformation teams to deliver on the Transformation teams goals related to ATB cloud computing.
- Advancing the knowledge, skills and careers of people that would report to this role and ensure as well that all people in this sphere of control are appropriately managed, advanced, trained and provided opportunity to feel rewarded in their work.
- Understanding new technology and emerging delivery methodology trends and determine viability for ATB, particularly as the trends relate to running core technology solutions in the cloud.
- Working closely with all ATB teams to assess and determine how ATB can better run our computing infrastructure and reduce overall cost to help ATBs efficiency ratio.
- Ensuring adherence to department budget, including future detailed budget planning.
- Actively negotiate and manage statements of work and /or service contracts with third-party vendors to ensure compliance and quality. Provide recommendations for contract approval to Head of Technology Enablement as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicator / Service Level Achievement
- Work to develop the key measurements to be used to measure service performance, including with our outsourced vendors.
- Perform analysis of key service trends and ATB needs to drive out plans to enhance or improve on the overall service reliability
- Perform regular review with the Transformation groups and teams of metrics to identify areas requiring corrective action or improvements.
- Negotiating, agreeing to, delivery and scheduled review of service requirements with the supported lines of business and service providers.
- General Requirements:
- Recognized Business and / or Information Technology Management degree or diploma preferred.
- Extensive experience managing team leaders / managers (Minimum 10 years of IT and/or Banking / Investment Management experience).
- Solid understanding of organizational adoption methodologies (i.e. change management).
- Extensive experience in negotiating terms and managing technology service contracts and/or statements of work. Preference given to candidates that have negotiated these agreements.
- Ability to perform well in high-paced, highly demanding environments.
- Strong delivery focus, with demonstrable experience in building trusted relationships with stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and interpretive skills to recognize and comprehend complex issues, policies, regulatory requirements and industry information affecting ATB’s environment.
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.
A little about ATB:
Anyone can say they are an equal opportunity employer.
But ATB lives, and invests deeply in, this reality every day. Our Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging leadership team has created a people-first strategy built on empathy, insight and the pursuit of true change. We believe you belong here—as you are and who you are—and we trust you’ll feel that from your first interactions with us.
Be great. Be you. Believe.
There’s something special about working at ATB, and it’s been recognized on every top employer list that matters. Maybe it’s our exceptional culture where your total wellness is supported and you’re free to bring your whole self to work. Maybe it’s our commitment to the growth mindset and our unrelenting thirst for making it possible. Or maybe it’s the way we obsess over every opportunity to meaningfully matter in the legacies and livelihoods of our clients and our fellow Albertans—even the ones who aren’t our customers.
Whatever it is, you won’t find a more genuine, driven and knowledgeable group of humans on the planet. Or at least, in Alberta. Believe it.
We don’t want to be Alberta’s most loved bank.
We want to be Alberta’s most loved brand. And that takes a trailblazing spirit, an open mind and a level of encouragement you can’t imagine at any workplace, let alone a financial institution.
We believe ATB exists to make it possible for our clients—whatever that it may be for them. We strive to find a better way...in more than just banking. And we see each day as a chance to uplift legacies and livelihoods, in ways not yet imagined.
Imagine what we can do for you.
What happens next?
If you are shortlisted for this opportunity, you will hear from us after the posting close date regarding next steps. We might ask you to participate in a digital interview or a phone interview. We will also keep your application on file for future roles.
Stay in touch!
NEW: Job Poster for Career Events, Networking, In-Branch job advertising rural/unique areas, Indigenous service delivery organizations, councils, other speciality sites.
Bank with us
Work with us
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Sr. DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Linux Infrastructure Developer jobs
- Open Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Devops Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Boston Hub jobs
- Open DevOps Manager - Pleasanton Hub jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Boston Hub jobs
- Open Staff Platform Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer DevOps (remote) jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs