Junior/Middle Site Reliability Engineer
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in more than 70 countries. How we got started.
As a SRE Engineer at Cookpad you will have a lot of opportunities to innovate and explore new technologies. We are using exciting and state-of-the-art technologies such as Kubernetes, Go and Kafka, that will enable you to further develop your technical skills and have a great time as well!
SRE engineers collaborate with multiple teams across Cookpad to build dream platforms for running our services. You will play a role in these and other initiatives, enabling reliability across our stack.
We love solving problems using open source technologies and we contribute back to the community by open sourcing some of our tools and fixing any bugs we find along the way. You can read here about the engineering work done at Cookpad.
In the SRE team, you will:
- Collaborate closely with other Cookpad teams to bring reliability to their services.
- Provide platforms and tooling that enable shipping to production easily and reliably.
- Mitigate incidents as part of our blameless post mortem culture and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again.
- Provide support to a global and diverse organization working in different countries.
- Go through mentoring so that you’ll eventually feel confident enough to join an on-call rotation for maintaining our service SLO.
More About Cookpad
Cookpad is dedicated to shaping the future of home cooking and food as a pillar for a sustainable future. Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. We believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier and connects us with our friends and family. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives in an environment that is more sustainable. That’s how we want to impact the world.Take a look at this article to learn more about Cookpad and our Medium blog to see what it is like to work at Cookpad.
Cookpad is one of Japan's best known tech companies, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and was already highly successful before launching globally in 2013. With strong backing we have spent the last few years building the global platform and we are now in our commercialisation phase of the business.
Our goal is to be the number one recipe sharing platform in 100 countries in 2021. It’s an ambitious target which means we need to constantly adapt and enhance our service in response to feedback from our users.
This is a junior/middle level role and we are looking for the following skills and traits:
- Experience in one or more modern programming languages, with an interest in automation.
- Interest in containerization and modern deployment technologies.
- Experience with Linux operating systems.
- Interest in Cloud environments, for example, AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Tinkerer and curious by nature.
- A collaborative and communicative person that enjoys solving problems in an open and iterative manner.
In the SRE team we use the following technologies:
- Programming language: Go and Ruby for scripting and building tools.
- Infrastructure-as-Code: Terraform, Jsonnet and Itamae (our own lightweight Chef).
- Cloud provider: AWS.
- Container schedulers: Kubernetes and AWS ECS.
- CI/CD: Flux, AWS CodeBuild, Github Actions and Jenkins
- Observability: Grafana, Prometheus, Thanos, Alertmanager, Elasticsearch and Amazon CloudWatch.
- Data stores: MySQL, Redis, Memcached and DynamoDB.
- Event Streaming: Kafka.
The SRE team values are:
- Collaboration: we work together across the board and are enablers for reliability.
- Excellence: we pursue ideal system designs and continuous improvement of ourselves and our systems.
- Autonomy: we trust each other to make responsible decisions and to own those decisions.
- Iteration: we are pragmatic and value shipping something that is working now over something that could be working better tomorrow.
- Openness: we keep all sorts of conversations open and empower everyone to change how we work.
People join Cookpad to be part of something bigger - to make a difference.
We offer competitive salaries and all the benefits you’d expect, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution, private medical insurance + cycle to work,, and workplace nursery schemes.
We started working from home in the very early stage of the pandemic to keep our members safe. Along with relaxed restrictions, our office is operated with limited capacity at the moment but expecting to recover. Before the pandemic, we did a few things you might not expect. From breakfast to team lunches, from pilates to cooking lessons, from time off for voluntary work to company socials.
We believe that the space we work in is important. We’ve created beautiful, innovative workspaces that reflect our culture and values, and are confident that we will once again have a very vibrant work environment when we return to some level of normality.
What happens next?
Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit. Please apply using the link below. As well as your CV, we’d like to hear how your skills and experience will help you contribute to the team and why you want to join Cookpad.
We will let you know if we’d like you meet some of the team via zoom.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
When applying for a job with Cookpad, we will collect personal data about you. We use that personal data for recruitment and hiring related activities, including analysis of those activities. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of the General EU Data Protection Regulation and UK GDPR as necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Cloud Infrastructure Architect Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Test Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Cloud Security Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Boston Hub Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open Staff Software Engineer (L4), Segment Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Data Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Unix-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open PowerShell-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open TCP-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open TCP/IP-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs