At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is looking for an experienced Manager to join the Internal Audit team. This role is based in Germany and will be reporting to the Head of Controls of Germany (“Geschäftsführer - Head of Controls”) and the US based Internal Audit Director. This individual will be responsible for leading, managing and driving the development of the Internal Audit function for Coinbase Germany and EMEA. The Manager will support the execution of risk assessments, lead annual planning for international operations, drive initiatives to deliver quality audit execution, and lead validation testing for findings and issue management. In addition, this individual will have a deep understanding of risks and regulations that impact the Financial Services industry, work in close collaboration with the global Internal Audit team and develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders and other colleagues across the world.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- As a part of a global internal audit team and working closely with out-sourced team(s), develop next generation audit practices to maintain a best-in-class global internal audit function
- Responsible for supporting Coinbase’s internal audit plan through the execution of operational and compliance related audits from beginning to end. Key activities include audit planning, stakeholder management, fieldwork execution, reporting and validation of remediated audit findings
- Lead operational audits with a focus on regulatory compliance, demonstrating a strong working knowledge of regulatory requirements that impact the organization in the international geographies where Coinbase operates.
- Drive the development of legal entity specific internal audit plans to ensure they are aligned with the global internal audit plan; plans should be designed to address risks identified by the global enterprise risk framework and consistent with global risk definitions and measurements
- Responsible for reviewing and evaluating the adequacy and timeliness of management's response and the corrective action taken on internal audit findings, including validation of remediation activities
- Develop and review audit reports on the effectiveness of the internal control structure for an executive level audience, ensuring reported findings are appropriately documented and supported by evidence
- Assist in the preparation of internal audit materials for the Audit Committee and Board of Directors
- Develop customized and valuable solutions to issues identified during the course of audits performed
- Establish and maintain trusted relationships within business unit management across all levels
- Work closely with both first and second lines of defense to maximize meetings utility, testing efficiencies and internal controls review coverage across the organization
- Serve as a value-add and advisory function to business partners by identifying ways to address audit findings or opportunities for enhancements with the goal of mitigating risk and improving the company ability to meet business objectives without compromising 3rd Line of Defense independence and objectivity
- Assist with responses to regulatory inquiries as they relate to internal audit matters
- Manage and perform ad-hoc investigations/audits/reviews as required
- Communicate with and educate process owners effectively, including non-finance individuals, on the importance of controls, an effective control environment, and the role of Internal Audit
- Promote new ideas / innovative means of executing projects and internal infrastructure enhancements focused on process or technology improvements
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- A BA/BS degree in accounting/finance, law or related fields
- Business fluency in German and English
- 8+ years of experience in Internal Audit, Risk Management, Compliance or Management Consulting
- Excellent understanding of an internal control environment
- Strong working knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, risk management practices for the financial services industry, specifically for Germany. Knowledge of regulations across multiple jurisdictions (e.g. UK, Ireland) is a bonus.
- Deep experience working within the financial services industry
- Proven project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and deadlines
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills, with high standards for quality, accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience leading and managing global teams
- Ability to coordinate and manage projects across time-zones (e.g. USA, UK, Japan etc. ).
- Ability to develop strong partnerships with key stakeholders both internally and externally
- Strong track record of building high performance audit teams, developing and delivering audits outlined within the annual plan, and adding measurable value to key stakeholders and business functions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in German and English
- Demonstrated proficiency in Google Suite or MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to travel regionally, at times internationally
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a fast paced organization
- Entrepreneurial attitude and experience with, or the ability to adapt to a rapidly growing start-up with associated complexities and ambiguities
- Experience working with/in an out-sourced or co-sourced internal audit function
- Experience in crypto/blockchain technology
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.