At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase seeks to bring economic freedom to individuals and businesses by building an open financial system for the world. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency secure, accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with a suite of products that serve more than 100M customers globally today.
We're looking for a Head of Cyber Security Operations to join the cyber security team, reporting directly to the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO). You will collaborate with senior leaders to nurture, mature, and manage a mature cybersecurity operations team. Disciplines reporting up to you will include: Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT), Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI), Insider Threat, and Trust & Safety. This will require you to work with a wide range of corporate stakeholders to rapidly detect, manage and contain security incidents, support technology incidents by providing data from our security technology suite, and support client incidents and investigations including significant Account Take Over (ATO) events.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Provide front line tactical leadership and shape the strategic vision for the Coinbase cybersecurity operation team.
- Partner with the security and product engineering teams and other cross functional teams to shape the security control and tool suite across the organization
- CSIRT - Front line leadership over all CSIRT activities including building / evolving the team and tooling (detection and response technologies)
- CTI - Responsible for tracking and reporting on advanced threat actors targeting Coinbase and our customers. Work with enterprise teams to adjust product security and control suites to proactively prevent ATO and other malicious attacks.
- Insider Threat - Evolve and maintain our capability to identify and track potential internal threats to the enterprise
- Trust & Security - Evolve and maintain a team of investigators tased with supporting customers who suffer from significant loss events related to ATO or other security issues that impact retail financial customers.
- Cyber Technology Suite - Provide input on capability and maturity requirements to meet organizational needs for cyber technologies, and inform the strategy to hire, build, or buy the right resources to meet those requirements
- Litigation Support - Provide expertise in support of any litigation activity with cybersecurity implications or claims
- Ensure your team is allocated to the most strategic business needs at the company by understanding the Company's strategy and priorities
- Bring an automation-first mindset to champion and drive a more streamlined approach to cybersecurity operations.
- Coach your team to define program plans, success criteria, and execute against their objectives
- Serve as a point of escalation for your team, identify opportunities to address systemic challenges, and equip your team to drive issue resolution
- Lead by example and coach others to facilitate challenging discussions, present to stakeholders of all levels, and craft communication
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- 5+ years of experience in building teams of size 40+ in financial or technology companies
- 10+ years of experience leading security teams, including 5+ years of experience in managing senior managers or 2nd level managers.
- 10+ years of work experience architecting, developing, and launching security operations functions and capabilities..
- Experience prioritizing workload based upon overall cyber risk and Return on Investment.
- Strong analytic skills and a demonstrated sense of ownership and accountability.
- History of delivering complex security solutions and risk management projects on-time and within budget.
- Ability to deliver quality solutions in a dynamic environment where priorities may change throughout the course of the delivery cycle.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- A service-oriented mentality while driving excellence across the organization.
- Strong organizational skills, both for yourself and the team
- Business acumen: Proven understanding of business dynamics, goals, and product strategy. Knowledge of how Security fits into Coinbase’s overall business.
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, conflicting constraints, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
Nice to haves
- 10+ years of security operations experience at a top Consumer Internet, Technology, or Financial services company.
- 5+ years of experience interacting with global financial regulators.
- Crypto native with significant working experience across Web3 technologies
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $275,825 to $386,500 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.